ybr starting problems HELLLLPPP

williewonka
This post is 4181 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi thanks for looking as am after a bit of help

i bought a ybr 125 for my son too learn on when he is 17 in june

anyway i bought a 2005 ybr 125 the problem i have is

the bike will start and run fine using te kickstart there is no nuetral light working though when not in gear so maybe this is why the starter motor isnt engaging the engine???

when i press the starter button the starter spins but doesnt seem to engage engine as makes no effort to turn engine over any ideas people as really would like everything to work for him thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If the motor spins but nothing happens then take it off (starter motor) and make sure there is a gear on the end of the shaft, or that it's not just gummed up might be something simple like lub needed. But it equally might mean that the gear is worn so the only way to find out is look at it. Best anyone can do without a picture!! :jossun:

If it's not catching and spinning the engine over I'd say the starter clutch is borked - the usual problem is that the rollers wear just enough so that they won't grip the driven half when spun by the motor - early signs of this are "Whizzz, CLUNK!", sounds like you're past that and now at just "Whizzz!"

Simplest test is to get into the starter clutch and turn it both ways - one way should be an easy freewheel, the other it should lock instantly - any free play means it's done in.

Dunno if you can just get a rebuild kit of just the rollers and springs or you'd need a whole assembly.

If it starts on the kickstart, spins the starter motor and the splines are ok I don't think it will be anything simple. I would think that a gear in the engine that should make the starter spin the engine has lost a tooth or two. If it spins when the starter motor is on the bike then it shouldn't be the starter isn't performing under load.

i no this may sound daft but could the nuetral switch being faulty stop starter motor engaging as replaced bulb and still no nuetral light?

I doubt it. Often inhibitor switches in the kickstand or clutch fail and the bike won't start but if it starts on the kick then this won't be the case. The same as the kill switch with earths out the coil.

It is somewhere between the starter motor and the mechanism that turns the engine over.

i no this may sound daft but could the nuetral switch being faulty stop starter motor engaging as replaced bulb and still no nuetral light?

Nope - the safety switches do one of two things - stop power getting to the starter motor in the first place (usually neutral/clutch switch) or stop power getting to the coil(s) so there's no spark. One way the starter doesn't spin at all, the other the engine turns over but doesn't fire.

The link from the starter motor to the crankshaft is purely mechanical - you've examined the gear wheel on the end and that's OK, the bike starts and runs fine on the kicker, so all that's left is the starter clutch assembly, as I said a couple of posts back. You press the button and all you get is "Whizzz", not "Whirr, chuff, chuff", correct?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online