Novice - SR125 basics?

AndrewElvisFan
This post is 4188 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Dumb question, can't find an answer on google and waiting for Haynes manual to arrive - how much play should there be in the chain? Mine seems quite loose, almost touching in places. Also, I've been advised to keep checking some gap, but was only a passing comment and was called away so couldn't clarify - any ideas? Apparently common thing on these older SR's?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Needs a little slack, for your weight and suspension travel. ie shud lift 25 mm up and down, not fiddle string tight,, :yeah:

Cheers for that. Think it's about right then as got about 45 - 50mm overall travel.

Alright mate

On the sr125 there should be an enclosed rear chainguard. At the bottom of this guard near the front there should be a small rectangle cut out with 'min' and 'max' on it. That is the tension tolerance for that bike.

Here is a link to some more relevant questions you may have regarding the sr125

Ok, so looks like its far too slack! Best I google a manual cos my Haynes still hasn't arrived

Hi mate I've got the same bike (as in the linked thread). Yes as Jimmy says there is a square hole on the chain guard with 'usable range' on. The chain should travel within that range as you pull it round. Glad I found this thread actually. I was looking down on my bike to see what exactly it said (I thought it was usable range) and it looks as if my chain is also loose. It was fine a few weeks ago but now it seems to have slackened off somehow. I'll have to look in the manual and see how to adjust it. Do you still need help with it? I can post up what it says in the manual if you are still waiting for it.

Edit: bit of a foolish beginner error today. I went out for a ride, parked it up in a pub car park which was on a slant and used the side stand instead of the centre stand, so you can guess what happened I bet? Yes the thing toppled over and dented back my right hand mirror. Silly boy. I had to ride home with a twisted mirror as it wouldn't hold in place level. I have manage to sort it at home thankfully, bit of WD40 in the thread and it looks like it will hold. I thought I had completely bent the mirror but looking at the photos it was already bent as is the brake level, I never noticed until today. It still works fine but I might order a new one if I can get it matching.

Hi Ben thanks for that! I adjusted mine yesterday. Only took 10 mins! Remove r clip and slacken nut on drive side, then loosen torque arm and knock adjuster round one notch at a time (both sides evenly) until chain at right position. I got the wife to check the chain in the window while I sat on it, in case that tightened it too much with my weight. I then tightened the axle nut and replaced the r clip before tightening the torque arm. I am saying torque arm - I assume that's what it is on the right hand side! I then double checked the chain position while on the centre stand in 1st and resprayed it with oil. Followed by its second wash in 3 weeks and sprayed everything with WD40. I'm not letting road salt do anymore damage!!

Hi Ben thanks for that! I adjusted mine yesterday. Only took 10 mins! Remove r clip and slacken nut on drive side, then loosen torque arm and knock adjuster round one notch at a time (both sides evenly) until chain at right position. I got the wife to check the chain in the window while I sat on it, in case that tightened it too much with my weight. I then tightened the axle nut and replaced the r clip before tightening the torque arm. I am saying torque arm - I assume that's what it is on the right hand side! I then double checked the chain position while on the centre stand in 1st and resprayed it with oil. Followed by its second wash in 3 weeks and sprayed everything with WD40. I'm not letting road salt do anymore damage!!

Oh great stuff. Yes I was just reading it in the manual, glad it is easy to sort, I will do it tomorrow.

You've not had the bike that long then? What year is it? How are you finding it?

Oh great stuff. Yes I was just reading it in the manual, glad it is easy to sort, I will do it tomorrow.

You've not had the bike that long then? What year is it? How are you finding it?

I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Drove it home in light snow at about 11 at night. That was a very long 2 hours. It's a 94. Drives nice. Sits at 50 all day long and can stretch it to 60 if needed! I had her up to 65 the other day downhill!! I think the clutch may be in need of replacing or just cleaning the plates off though as she slips a bit in 5th. How's yours? Do you notice the indicators flash at a higher speed the faster the engine is going? Not sure if I need to replace the relay or use an inline resistor of some sort. Think I may have an earth issue - the headlight does dim every now and then, but as the evenings are getting lighter and the headlamp is perhaps not needed as much I may put that off until it gets warm enough to be outside without several layers of clothes.

Any other damage to the bike when you dropped it? Mines got a small dent in the tank which I assume is from a previous owner doing just that! The chrome on both my mirrors is a little apologetic to say the least so I'll be changing both mine at some point. Along with a few other bits and pieces as and when I can (2 young kids take priority!)

Yes it was a silly mistake. I was just about to put it on the centre stand when the thing toppled over, I was just taking my gloves off. No, no other damage thankfully, learning experience as I'll never do it again. Thanks for the kerb idea.

No Andrew I've not noticed the lights dimming at higher speeds, but then again I'm only brave enough to touch 50, 45 usually, I'm getting more and more confident on the bike though, glad to know the bike will sit at 50 though as I eventually want to take it up to the Lakes in the summer (from Yorkshire and back). A 94? Is it in black or green? I'm looking to get some new mirrors because of the bent mirror, I can't believe that I didn't notice it was bent before, it is not a big issue but I might as well get a matching pair. I've been looking at mirrors today but I'm not sure of the size. The 8mm threads seem to be the common sizes for these bikes but there are some mirrors with 10mm fittings.

Here is a site I was looking at for mirrors:

http://www.yamahamotorcyclespares.co.uk/spares/partImage.asp?GPN=MRU30650&model=SPARES&uid=0

These look OK but surely too cheap to be of any good. Also looked on ebay and wemoto.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online