Steering dampeners

Grouch
This post is 4200 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Does a bike need one? Been looking at sports bikes and some have them and some don't. I think I would prefer one but I could always fit one. Are they only any good on larger sports bikes? I'm getting a 125.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Grouch (again!) Steering dampers are ok if you need them as you know they are to stop the bike from trying to turn a wobble into a tank slapper by damping down the rapid movement of the head stock, but it's really only at high speed that they come into their own, a normal (sic) wobble can be corrected by just laying flat on the tank till it goes away but when you think about it a wobble should not be there at all, if your wheel is balanced correctly and you have no movement in the head stock bearings then a damper just makes it a pain in the arse to turn your bike round by making it difficult to actually turn the steering and it limits the amount of steering you have just by being there, if your worried about front end wobble then get your bike checked at the local bike shop (you will after all know your way there as you have been a regular visitor over the last few weeks :crazy: ) other wise unless you actually have a problem with wobble don't bother. :jossun:

Thanks for the answer Slice. Read a lot about 'tank slappers' and it's very discouraging. I've had the front end/wheel wobble before when taking a corner at speed on my little XT but I wouldn't like the experience going over 60 mph.

A tank slapper and a speed wobble are two different things, Grouch. I have had both and they are scary in their own right.

The first was a speed wobble riding my mates H***a CBX1000 on the A78 Irvine bypass. I hit an indicated 130mph and the bars/bike started to weave then wobble. I nudged off the throttle and it settled down to about 80 for the rest of the trip. When I gave the bike back to my mate he says "just accelerate through it and it'll go away" I wasn't that brave

The tank slapper was on my Bonnie doing about 35-40. It was a stretch of road being repaired so the top layer of tarmac was scraped off. I hit the corner of a raised manhole cover (it was back in the day, so "manhole" was an acceptable term :icon_neutral: ), anyway the next minute I'm being bounced all over the road with the bars slapping back and forth at an alarming rate. I managed to slow and stop, and once off the bike my arms were bloody aching and stayed sore for a couple of hours.

Another time on my xs1100 I arrived at work and my mate who had been following in asks about the weave of the bike. I told him I dont notice it anymore and its just part of owning a 1970s Jap "Superbike" with an elastic frame.... My good lady organised the sale of that bike one day a delivery guy showed up with summit. He see the bike and starts asking her if its for sale. Yes she says, he showed up later that night and bought it.

I once went over a road that was in the process of being resurfaced, there were no warning signs or out, it was pretty bad.

A tank slapper

and there was me thinking that was what you got in Manchester Road in Swindon.

I hit an indicated 130mph

James, I am gobsmacked, you being an upholder of the law.

1984, prelaw :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

I forgive you Jimmy, I've even tried to see how how fast my bike would go, got up to a ton but ran out of bypass, so will never find out. I doubt if it will get above 120mph.

Saying that, I have got to go down the M4 on Tues, so you never know?

I wouldn't do it nowadays mike, too many cameras about. Although when I bought my xjr a few years ago in Bilston nr Brum, I could have lost my licence 3 times on the way home. A mixture of enthusiasm and a responsive throttle

I wouldn't do it nowadays mike, too many cameras about. Although when I bought my xjr a few years ago in Bilston nr Brum, I could have lost my licence 3 times on the way home. A mixture of enthusiasm and a responsive throttle

I'm glad to hear about that Jimmy, because, believe it or not. I am a staunch believer of upholding the law.

Don't get me wrong, I have broken the law a few times, especially in fazzers while I was in boats, but, and I mean but, although as I have just said I have tried to do a ton on my current bike, I do tend to stick to the speed limits.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online