Old Classic Bikes and Practicality

Benedictine
This post is 4204 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I’ve always fancied an old classic bike. I’ve always liked the look of the old Triumphs, Nortons or the Francis Barnett as rode by Nick in Heartbeat! :jossun: This is probably what attracted me in part to the Yamaha SR 125 as my first bike. I also notice that many people on here have bikes from ‘73 and so forth. Anyway, I was wondering are these bikes still practical as a main bike, day-to-day ride around, or only really workable as a weekend pleasure bike? Take for example the following bike:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRANCIS-BARNETT-FALCON-199CC-CRACKING-RIDE-PLEASE-WATCH-THE-VIDEO-/321068073640?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4ac12602a8

Is this something you could get away with riding as part of your daily commute as well as weekend rides, or what? Same with those who have bikes from the 70s do you use them as your main daily bike? Provided that you look after them etc, are the bikes like above still practical?

I don’t expect to buy such a classic bike for at least a year or two or maybe more but it is something I have been wondering.

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

all i can tell you about my hack , a 1981 rd350lc is they were bred to scatch back country lanes and tracking in their day.

now thirty plus years on , i use mine all year round (if it ain't pissing down) i nip to see my mum and dad on it, i also use it to pick up milk and bread from tesco's . it's also given drewps and blackhat a run for their money (they'l deny it :shakeno: ) iv,e done a hundred and fifteen mile run on it too,

then it ran out of petrol i use it for work and allsorts but my favorit is weekend back lane scratching with the crew .so yea, go for it mate, age aint realy a draw back as long as you feed it right.

I think you will find it hard in modern traffic for an old 2 smoke like the bantam and franny B (same villiers engine)

I think you would be better off with a non brit bike with a bit of pep. then you can get your self out of trouble easier.

• Like 1

My daily ride is a 80 ish dt175. If im in the mood i will use my tdr.

Classics are better than the modern stuff if you ask me. All that electronic eurotrash. You 1 fault from pushing.

If you like classic bikes stick to one from the Japanese manufacturers at least they usually are reliable and as Upyours says capable in modern traffic and in the case of a 350LC properly ridden can still upset a few modern sports bike riders if your scratching on back lanes. I once owned a 1976 Triumph TR7 a basically Bonnie with a single carb biggest heap of c**p i have ever had the miss fortune to own spent more time nailing the thing back together than ridding it. Got rid of it after about 3months never again

My very first bike!! A total blast from the past thank you, would I have one now? NOT IF YOU PAID ME! They are oily noisy rattly and above all else gutless, nothing wrong with gutless if your not in a hurry but if your doing traffic to get to work get a HONDA the 150 was a nice little twin that made the Brit bikes look like they were off the ark anything wtih an electric start and kickstart was like straight from star trek plus the lights worked which was handy at night (try a fanny B 2 candle power you'll see what I mean) this bike would look great in a museum which is where it should be. :jossun:

P.S my next bike after this was the CSR14 AJS 250 which was great but still an old smoker, stay with the jap bikes mate they are getting rare and command a premium price but will still be going when most of these brit things will be garden ornaments ie something to hang your pot plants from or buried under the patio.

If you buy one then expect to spend AT LEAST 50% of your time under it inside it or generally fettling it cos if it's wet it won't go if it's windy it won't go or god forbid the suns shining then guess what IT WON'T GO. They require dedication and deep pockets cos any one who has the parts for it knows that some dummy will pay exorbitant amounts to relive their youth, which between you and me was never like you remember it!

Depends on the end use. If you want a daily ride, then a jap late 70s through to late 80s, usually plenty of spares available unless you buy a rarity.

+1 with all of the other comments regarding reliabilty etc

Wow this has been an eye opener. I didn't realise how bad these old Brit bikes were, I always thought they were ultra reliable. When I do eventually move up to a bigger bike I think it is certain I will get something much more modern, but with a 'classic' look. I have absolutely no interest in the modern sport bikes though so it will have to have the custom/classic sort of look and it will be Japanese! I've only had my Yamaha SR 125 for about three weeks mind and I intend to keep that at least a couple of years.

jawa 350 ts was a relieble bike . 117,000 miles on the same pistons then sold it on. with spare pistons ,just incase.

my daily is a 78 cx500, no issues using it as a daily, its got a fairing and panniers.

i just do the basic maintenance, weekly checks of fluids ect. fill with fuel and use..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online