xv535 Sight Glass

jimmy
This post is 4061 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My boy came in from college today and asked me to have a look at his bike. I had told him to make sure he checks his oil, and on doing so saw no oil showing on the sight glass. I had a look and sure enough no oil. Strange, thinks I, as the guy we bought it from had just done a resto job and gave me a list of receipts including oil and filter.

Anyway I dug out the manual and showed him how to drain the oil (not expecting much to come out), but a full quota of oil poured out, looking clean as well. He then filled it up with new oil using 2.6l as recommended, but still nowt shows on the sight glass.

Before I pull it apart, who's familar with these engines and if I just remove the genny cover will the sight glass come off with it in order for me to have a look.

On a brighter note, this is the first time he has done an oil change, and I have made the effort to stand by and let him do things himself, as recommended by the board a wee while ago.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have seen that happen before ,sometimes you have to lean the bike over a wee bit to the site glass side wait a second for the oil to come to view then stand the bike up right and check the level of it off the center stand :shrug: why not sure but it normaly works.

Cheers dt, will give it a try tomorrow

The bike was being held vertical, although if it was on the side stand, which is on the same side as the glass, surely it would show a higher oil level

REPLACE THE FILLER CAP!!!

Then run the engine for a couple of minutes to get the oil circulating fully.
Then switch off and re-check.
You may need to tilt the bike back and forth a bit, because oil is viscous/gloopy and takes a moment to alter levels. Warming it up makes it easier.

Also, note I said "REPLACE THE FILLER CAP!!!". I fucking well mean it and I speak from experience. Known several fuckwitts start up the engine without putting the cap back and laughed my arse of at the results!

Cheers folks

Ttask, He had just ridden 8 miles back from college so the oil would have been warm, when he first showed me the issue. I tilted the bike over slightly and still nowt. Following on from dts' advice, when he came in last night I leaned the bike right over till the footpegs were touching the ground. Still nowt coming through.

I think a new gasket, removal of cover and some exploration is required.

Airhead, I have always erred on too much oil (in its own way) being as bad as too little

Yeah i once came across an older bike on the side of the road with the owner not looking too happy. He said that he had put to much oil in it, and was waiting for his dad to bring tools.

I asked if there was anything i could do and ended up giving him a lift into town (back when i had a car) so he could get the tools abit quicker....this was at about 10pm, poor git. So yeah too much oil-not good lol.

Not sure if he managed to sort it out on the side of the road, but both him and the bike were gone about an hour later. i like to think he got it fixed. :)

this may sound daft but is the sight glass misted over inside. so you cannot see through it. had this on my cb550. so to check the oil i just removed the filler cap and checked, if i couldnt see it i topped it up a bit. and after a trip to glasgow, about 340 miles i looked and could see the oil through the glass..

I meant warm it up after filling up, as the new oil would be cold ;)

Gets the circulation going and all that, so you get a truer level reading.

That and to provide a humourous insinuation based on my own experience of suddenly getting covered in oil!

I am surprised that after a complete refill and warm-up, you have nothing showing. I can only suggest maybe checking the glass and giving it a thorough clean off. That and checking the manual to make sure you've followed it word for word, as it's always the silly little things.

For example, a standard oil change on mine requires 2.6L, but a complete change from a dry engine, including filter change requires 3.2L - You sure you picked the right one?

Yes

As bindie says 2.6l for an oil change(without replacing filter). Handily its embossed on the engine at the sight glass. Probably take it off at the weekend, or whenever the gasket and oil filter arrive from fleabay.