XT 125 X new rear brake pads and axle surgery

j0hn
This post is 4217 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Noticed the other day my rear brake was pretty weak so decided to have look and what I discovered was pretty disturbing.

My workstation :P

XT_WheelOff.jpg

State of rear brake pads - I do check my pads from time to time and It took a while for me to notice the actual pad has worn. I should have checked thoroughly so this doesn't end up happening.

XT_RearPads.jpg

Dirty axle - The axle was also in a terrible state.

XTAxle.jpg

As well as changing the pads, I spend some time greasing up the axle and the space for it through the wheel. I took it out for a ride straight after and I was surprised how light and lose the ride felt. It didn't feel like the old ride, felt much snappier and faster. DIY and money still in pocket :D.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Daft question but weren't the disc's knackered too?

They didn't feel too bad but I've ordered one to be replaced just in-case.

Does anyone else grease their axle, if so, how often and are there easier ways to do it without having to take it out ?

• 2 weeks later...

Since when did UK bikes have 'axles'!

Spindles, bikes in the UK have wheel spindles!

(also yokes, not 'triple trees') :-)

You caught that pad just in time, the new ones will wear off any marks on the disc soon enough ;-)

Looks to me like youve had good value from the pads, changin them at the right time. As for the "spindle", Id guess that any bike ridden all year round would have the "spindle" in that condition. Most important though are the condition of the seals and bearings, a shitty looking "spindle" can be expected to an extent.

Grouchy, youve really got to up your game mate:fingerwave:

I would also call the "spindle" an axle :razz:

Looks to me like youve had good value from the pads, changin them at the right time. As for the "spindle", Id guess that any bike ridden all year round would have the "spindle" in that condition. Most important though are the condition of the seals and bearings, a shitty looking "spindle" can be expected to an extent.Grouchy, youve really got to up your game mate:fingerwave:

I know : (