Into the unknown!

Nirrot
This post is 4240 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there all. I'm very new to the club and have possibly taken on a project too far. I've own bikes before but newer ones that it's not worth getting too hands on with (other than a cleaning rag!) I've now gone and got myself a 1979 XS 250. A definate project bike. It's a rolling chassis with engine, and 'box of bits'. The engine supposedly runs but need to find out for myself if that's true. Feeling a bit daunted and wondering where to start. Some friends reckon that servicing as I go is the way, where as others think I should just hook it all up and see if it starts. The whole lot only set me back £100 so it's no great shakes if (when)I screw something up. Any helpful hints or thoughts for newbie?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Check out the workshop and project sections near the bottom of the main page post your questions in the workshop and start a project thread. Use the search function.

As to hooking it up, I would after checking that it is not seized and a few other things but others would say don't. Up to you really.

Good luck and we tend to like pictures on the forum.

Hey and welcome to the forum! Would be a good idea to post a project thread in the relevant section - there are many knowledgeable people on here who'd love to help out.

:welcome: aboard! Good luck with the XS. Sounds like it'll be a great project!

Welcome nirrot" :wavey: yeh its a task of patience, you have to ask yourself, how far do i go,,, is it ridable / show standard or what,

coz ther a lot of money to be thrown at a project,,, and if its profit your after, the XS250 wasnt desirable in the1970"s :eusa_snooty: , so can"t see that changing now,, great experience tho, the reward is getting it up and running ,,and riding down the sunny lanes , :jossun:

Definately not looking for profit. 4 friends deciding to do a 'top gear' style challenge. Find a cheap bike, get it running and then wait for the gold envelope!

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online