Bike only runs when fuel tap is in reserve position

tim1982
This post is 4097 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

I've got a SR125 and recently it's developed this problem of only seeming to run when the fuel tap is in the reserve position. When I try to run it from the on position, it sometimes won't start or if it does it will tick over but when I apply the accelator it cuts out. However, it runs fine in reserve. I got it running in the on position the other morning but having gone about a mile it suddenly started to lose all power and eventually cut out.

I really don't have a clue what to do.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi there,

I've got a SR125 and recently it's developed this problem of only seeming to run when the fuel tap is in the reserve position. When I try to run it from the on position, it sometimes won't start or if it does it will tick over but when I apply the accelator it cuts out. However, it runs fine in reserve. I got it running in the on position the other morning but having gone about a mile it suddenly started to lose all power and eventually cut out.

I really don't have a clue what to do.

Put some petrol in the tank

• Like 1

Hi Tim Welcome to the YOC, it's usual to do an intro before asking questions but perhaps you could do it later. Have you checked to see if the filter in the tank is blocked? Take the tank off undo the screws that hold the tank tap in place and pull the unit out, check to see if any of the tubes/filters are blocked, needless to say empty the tank first before you do this as otherwise you will have fuel all over the place. Also check all the pipes that feed fuel to the carb to make sure they are not kinked, just one other thing I can think of at the moment is the fuel tank filler cap air hole blocked? Try running the bike with the tank lid off or open. Hope some of that helps. :jossun:

Intro aside, unless the fuel is low, the main fuel tube is probably blocked with junk. This is is the tank. Take the petcock off and clean it or get a patten one and refit it. Don't forget to empty the tank first.

....or it could be a vacuum tap and it has come off the manifold intake or on the tap itself.

could also be that the diaphram has gone preventing operation in that mode

If its a gravitypet cock, i find its the reserve filtre that clogs first, as its lowest among the crap, :eusa_think: