Stolen bikes

theskrebs
This post is 4256 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I start with a copy of my last post from the 'newbie' forum. This relates to the theft of a YZ80 and YZ125, form their garage a couple weeks ago.

I've had a look round some web sites, spoken to a few mates. Like kenDAWG says, there are lots of stories out there like this one. Not just in this country, but all over the world. The official response seems to be the same, " Sorry to hear about your loss, but there's little we can do".

But what about us? We hear another sad tale, then go off to the shed to make sure our pride and joy is still there. Smile at the sight of gleaming metal, then lock and bolt the door as we leave. I'm good, no problem here. Then someone comes in the night and grinds the doors off their hinges, or puts a hole in the roof...... they manage to carry bikes through obstacle courses that would defy the military, without leaving a mark on anything else. These kind of tales are all on the net. It happens!

Is your bike still there this morning? Are you sure?

The officials don't want to know. Maybe they're happy to discourage bike ownership, who knows? So, is the answer to the problem in our hands?

Is it in our interest to do something about this? Do we just keep a low profile and hope it doesn't happen to us? Is there anything WE can do about this situation?

Maybe its time to start a new thread...

WELL HERE IT IS

There are a lot of sad tales out there, so I don't want to burden this thread with tales of woe. What I would like is some idea of what WE can do, as law abiding citizens, about this problem. So, suggestions like 'hang the f....ing ba...rds by the balls till they die' might well meet with approval, but will not be very constructive.

One thing that strikes me, is that there is very little information out there relating to stolen bikes.

With offroaders, there is no registration or ownership documentation.

Anyone buying an MX bike has to trust the seller has legal possession.

There is no regulation of second hand parts dealers.

There is no effective database, for people to check frame and engine details before buying.

There is no effective check at organised track events, for frame and engine numbers.

There seems to be general apathy among bike owners - unless their machine ends up on eBay in bits!

Over to you guys...... Your comments would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not that it may help in your circumstance but something like smartwater, datatagging or the likes would show where any parts turned up. I got a bottle of something like it when I insured the TS with carole Nash.

Each major part can be marked and each has a unique number which can then be referenced back to the owner. Not fool proof but better than nothing. While people are prepared to buy whole bikes without any paperwork, this will never go away.

Your right of course but the police can't catch someone who just nicks your bike and strips it, what are the number on your bike? where do they sell the bits? and truth be told if you want a replacement part and good old EBAY has it at a knock down price then the devil in your head is going to say "that's cheap fuck where it comes from". Smart water is pretty good at making you bike identifiable and even the bits can be recognised but the real answer to your question is, if you leave your bike out in the road and just wrap a chain round the wheel it is going to vanish faster than a snowball in the desert. Ground anchors are ok for making it difficult to take your bike but they just dig them out of the ground and get a free anchor and chain to sell on.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's down to you to make it as difficult as possible to have someone take your bike, a garden shed is no deterent to there arseholes so you have to be practical and fit alarms to your bike the shed and lights outside to drive them off, best of all is that nowadays you can buy a camera for a few quid that is movement activated and at least you will be able to see who took your bike and you have to give the police something to go on other than "My bike was nicked where is it?"

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative but the only person who is concerned about your bike is you and so you must do all you can to make the sods go else where.

Oh and fit a tracker to it as well at least you can tell the police where your bike is.

Just read that over 100 bikes are stolen A DAY!! in the UK so a tracker seems like a really good idea they range from about £50 to £300, so if your bike is new then why not ask the dealer to supply and fit one for you after all if your bike costs about 5K then it's pennies really to keep it from getting taken and it's a good selling point for the next owner, the more of us that do it the less the thieves will take.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online