powder coating wheels

Toutsuite
This post is 4149 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey amigos, thinking about powdercoating the rims of my wheels (gloss black natch), as the rust is beginning to eat through the chrome in the odd spot or two on the front wheel. So thought I'd catch the rot early. Thing is I don't know if a normal metalworks will do it, even ones that advertise powdercoating bike wheels, as mine will almost certainly have to be disassembled and rebuilt (I don't want to coat the spokes, just leave them as they are...)

Your thoughts? Anybody know of a place that has a good rep for powdercoating and rebuilding wheels around London / Home counties?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks for the info guys, very useful! Looks like I might have to go through a garage though (for them to remove the wheels, take them apart, send the rims off to be powdercoated, put them back together again and refit them on the bike).

• 3 weeks later...

I had that exact same flakey-chrome/rust issue with my wheels. I took them to Central Wheel Components in Birmingham - http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/

They dismantled the wheel (including knocking out the bearings), powder-coated the rim and hub, re-laced it with new stainless steel spokes, and fitted an Avon Cobra tyre.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online