stupid ebay and its stupid prices

shambles1980
This post is 4192 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ebay is infuriating..
People just pull numbers out of theiere asses and say "thats a good price"

Im on there looking for a barrel for my rxs.. and i was bidding and lost by £1 as i was in the bathroom when it ended.. Never mind really as it had gone a bit more expensive than i expected. And i decided a nother would come allong soon..

well one poped up.
£60! and £10 postage??
They must be crazy.
I must have missed the moddel where they made the barrel out of platinum.

dont get me wrong, you can get reasonably priced stuff on there. gasket sets bearings and so on really arent to bad.. of course you want a indecator lens and they are side screw versions which i dont know which version had those but mine has screws in the actuall lens.

But seriously if i was to say "buy it now" on a barrel, and a carb id be £120 down.. (without postage)

whats a tax and tested one of these go for?? 3? 4? 500?
where the hell do they get these prices from..

It gets to a point when you look at these people and what they sell these parts for and you say..

"hell if i strip my bike in to parts. sell them for less than these idiots charghe, i can then use the money to buy a tax and tested bike.. or i can spend a fortune by over paying on parts. and probably spend as much as a tax and tested bike would cost just on a few second hand parts"

i blame these people putting up bikes for 7-900..
I mean they never get a bid or anything. but some one says "i wonder what these bikes go for" and sees an over priced bike and think its an avarage price..

i dont have a TZR here people, its a 1990 rxs they have been made sinnce like 85 or something and i dont think they stoped till 96. theres a whole crap load of them.
now snap the hell out of it please.
--
I did word my email to the seller slightly diferent to that.

but the jist was the same..
I dont think it will sell for that, and if it dosent and he decides he wants to try a lower price that he can let me know.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yeah more importantly is condition, better to pay (what you may think) a high price for a good one with plenty of meat, Than buy a cheap one on it last bore size and stripped or oversized studs...broken fins etc etc....Ive done it believe me! The trouble with ebay is what's not said...best bet is you ask the questions. Oh and £60 sounds OK me but not for a bad one

The other option is autojumbles...

If it is good usebale condition with an origianl yam piston £60 sounds resonable to me , phone yuor yam dealer and see how much a new piston alone is yesthere are bargains to be had but they are getting fewer and further between , I sold a complete runni ng suzi X5 motor for £120 not long ago, and the guy came 200 odd miles to fetchit, so i threw the frame in his car as well, as i had no, log book and i tsaved me going to the dump with it the bike had bent forks so i did say check it is not twisted if you do use it , He was highly delighted

I tend to think that unless you sell parts professionally ebay has done massive amounts to reduce parts prices. 15 years ago, if you wanted a part you had a limited number of sources and it was hard to compare prices. Now a quick look tells you what might be a fair rate.

e.g, i had an rxs in 95 that needed a 1st oversize. From the local place, pattern cost me £25ish (if my memory serves me well), now i could have it sent to my door for less than £20, 17 years later. Think how much so much other stuff has increased in that time. I don't think 17 years ago you would have been able to source a new or used barrel easily, apart from Fowlers (who then were very expensive and had 6 week wait for parts), no they are there to pick and choose.

I dunno i just dont see them being worth £60. i was thinking closer to £40 with postage. and thats in useable condition.
the pisttons range from £15 to £30 new. with pins clips and rings.. and i dont mind paying that for new..
but i wont pay that for a used piston.

a used barrel with new piston kit for the size. i would be be willing to pay £60 for, but a used barrel with a used piston no rings pin or clips?
im just throwing that pistron away..
i really dont see it.

some people are living in a dream world, the price of used spares for the DTs has gone up noticeably, some people are asking almost £20 for a kickstart lever! :o

"hell if i strip my bike in to parts. sell them for less than these idiots charghe, i can then use the money to buy a tax and tested bike..

not far off. this was what happened last week.

my 1994 vitara was rotten. would of got £160 tops for weighing it in.

saw a wanted add for on the off road fourm i am on. looked on ebay at the prices. under cut them, £10 or £20. and then replied to the adds. sold the bits.

i then knew that i had made more than scrap value and it only took half a day to strip pack and send the bits.

i then stuck a load of other bits on e-bay £10 cheeper than the rest. as it was a free listings weekend and sold a load of it.

total in pocket £600

easy way to make money if you have the right car and some where to do it...

oh and money is going towards a new bike...

theres a tzr 125 looks good with spare engine on ebay 600 lowest accepred bid says 800 BIN.
if i had it id probably think about it..

the only other bike i want is my 1st bike back..
AR125..
seems they are like hens teeth though..
i know this is a yammy forum but those littel ar's are good bikes..

back on topic got a reply from the guy, he seems to know il get one cheaper if i wat but he isnt desperate so wont be lowering the price any time soon..

Just seems to me that if i pay the £70 for the barrel then get a new piston kit. and probably need a rebore 2. (it is used, and piston has taken some damage) then im looking at £140 ish all in just for the top end.
i could just turn the bike over for spares or repairs throw all tyhe bits i have in with it. put the £140 i didnt spend on the top end in to the kitty, and buy a tax and tested rxs which saves me paying for tax and test for a while...

maybe it would be different if the bike had sentimental value. but its just a fun run arround.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online