Help me decide, sell Virago 535 or keep for another year?

EazyDuz
This post is 4057 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys.

I got a Virago 535 last year, but it rained most of the summer in England so i probably only did around 2000 miles on it.

Well spring is round the corner this year, and i cant decide. Get a Dragstar 650 Classic this spring, or keep the 535 for another year and fit some straight throughs i bought for it?

The only think the 535 lacks is decent luggage space. Its just so small, there isnt much room for saddlebags and i already have a sissy bar and back rest/luggage rack, and all the saddlebag supports ive seen use the same bolt hole as the back rest/rack, so i can only fit one or the other.

I like to go on long weekends and tours around the UK, sometimes 2 up, so i need the room for the saddlebags.

Plus i LOVE the look of the 650 classic, especially in black/grey.

Advice?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmm...I dont know , you should consider the specs of both bikes and see for yourself...and if you can sell it off at a good price then no problem doing that I think. If you havent ridden it much then there wont be worries in keeping it anyways.

Another prob, why do you use "only think" instead of "only thing"? I have seen some natives using "then" instead of "than" in the media even.. why do even the native English users doing such mistakes? I dont know am not a native English user...:)

i had the xvs 650 for a while back there till i crashed out on it

have to say it was a fantastic bike but heavy

i'm in the process just now of customising an xv535 but havent spent anytime riding it as such

i would say try one out and see what you feel yourself

Definitely give one a test-ride and see if you like it.

I'd give my usual opinion of how the Customs are better than the Classics, but the former takes a minor bit of fiddling to move the indicators, while the latter will accept the larger saddlebags without any modification. Could be you're after the less hassle option. I also hear the Classics are more comfy for pillions, but I find them about the same personally.

Either way, the Drag is a great bike and well worth the money. But if you're doing fine with the Viggie, only change if you really want to.
The luggage supports should bolt through the same hole as the backrest - ie, you should be able to fit both *at the same time*. One of them should have come with longer bolts to accomodate this...

Another prob, why do you use "only think" instead of "only thing"? I have seen some natives using "then" instead of "than" in the media even.. why do even the native English users doing such mistakes? I dont know am not a native English user... :)

For decades native Englanders have often been at the mercy of government education. We spend so much money on foreign aid, benefits and so forth that there isn't much left for education. From what is left, a lot of it gets diverted to pay for the prosecution of male teachers (often wrongfully) accused of paedophillia and general sex scandals.
As a result, many schools are full of thugs and carefree idiots who know there's nothing that can be done to discipline them and both they and the few students actually receptive to proper education subsequently do not get the attentive instruction they ought. Furthermore, as each generation grows up, their parenting skills and assumption of responsibility have lessened, paving the way for even greater disruption in subsequent classes.
I went to a grammar school, supposedly one of the better ones in the country with a long history of univertity types and fancy folk near the equal of Etonians and so forth. Certainly during my years, you'd never believe that such a failing institute had once produced some of the top echelons of the academic world!
Lastly, factor in the inherrent laziness of modern technology and the cultural disinclination toward reading and you have your answer.

Even I, with all my high-fallutin' words and such, am prone to errors of vernacular.

Thanks for the reply. About the saddlebag supports, i have this backrest:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-XV535-VIRAGO-RENNTEC-LUGGAGE-CARRIER-RACK-AND-PADDED-BACKREST-SISSY-BAR-/360548491073?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item53f25d5f41

And i purchased some Highway Hawk supports. If you look at the pic of the backrest, on the end of the bars it is T shaped where the bolts go into. On the Highway hawk supports, they also have a very thick mount point, the same width as that on the back rest. Which means its impossible to bolt them both on unless i somehow cut the mount points on the saddlebags and made them about 5mm thick, which i didnt want to, or have the tools to do, plus it would look terrible. I sold them in the end.

I'd have to either get a different back rest with very thin point points, or get a different brand of bag supports, which i cant find anywhere.

Definitely give one a test-ride and see if you like it.

I'd give my usual opinion of how the Customs are better than the Classics, but the former takes a minor bit of fiddling to move the indicators, while the latter will accept the larger saddlebags without any modification. Could be you're after the less hassle option. I also hear the Classics are more comfy for pillions, but I find them about the same personally.

Either way, the Drag is a great bike and well worth the money. But if you're doing fine with the Viggie, only change if you really want to.

The luggage supports should bolt through the same hole as the backrest - ie, you should be able to fit both *at the same time*. One of them should have come with longer bolts to accomodate this...

For decades native Englanders have often been at the mercy of government education. We spend so much money on foreign aid, benefits and so forth that there isn't much left for education. From what is left, a lot of it gets diverted to pay for the prosecution of male teachers (often wrongfully) accused of paedophillia and general sex scandals.

As a result, many schools are full of thugs and carefree idiots who know there's nothing that can be done to discipline them and both they and the few students actually receptive to proper education subsequently do not get the attentive instruction they ought. Furthermore, as each generation grows up, their parenting skills and assumption of responsibility have lessened, paving the way for even greater disruption in subsequent classes.

I went to a grammar school, supposedly one of the better ones in the country with a long history of univertity types and fancy folk near the equal of Etonians and so forth. Certainly during my years, you'd never believe that such a failing institute had once produced some of the top echelons of the academic world!

Lastly, factor in the inherrent laziness of modern technology and the cultural disinclination toward reading and you have your answer.

Even I, with all my high-fallutin' words and such, am prone to errors of vernacular.

+1

The results of all of this social engineering can be seen daily on the TV on something called the Jeremy Kyle Show. Before much longer, these will outnumber us as they are not subject to any breeding restrictions

Another prob, why do you use "only think" instead of "only thing"? I have seen some natives using "then" instead of "than" in the media even.. why do even the native English users doing such mistakes? I dont know am not a native English user... :)

This is nothing, you ever seen the program TOWIE (the only way is Essex) HOLY FUCK now if thats the England we live in now and is what is next for our once great country im shipping off to a fair away land.

Back on topic tho, id choose the Dragstar any day of the week. yes its a heavy bike but you only feel it when your stopped. As said test ride one and i guarantee your love it

The Classic will take big-ass saddlebags straight off.

The Custom will need you to move the indicators back, but is easy enough (I did it myself) and then you're equally sorted. The advantage here is that you save 20kg on the bike weight.

I can't see your links from here at work, but there are plenty of support/sissy combinations that work in tandem. That's what they're supposed to do in the first place. I suspect you may have just gotten one of the few mismatches. Had you not already bought, I'd suggest getting a set all from the same brand.

Ultimately though, since you're already considering changing bike, I'd say you might as well go all out and get a Dragstar, making sure that you match the 'passenger' kit. Many 2nd hand Drags are sold with this stuff already fitted, so do hunt around!

what about the saddlebag problem, tbh if i could fit saddlebags i'd be more than happy with the virago

Saddlebags on a Virago, no support bars reqd, each bag has a flap attached, the flaps overlap each other and are laced together. The seat is lifted off, the tied flaps placed over the rear fender, seat refitted, job done. The forward slope of the bags means that the rear springs keep the bags off the tyre. Just shop around

Saddlebags on a Virago, no support bars reqd, each bag has a flap attached, the flaps overlap each other and are laced together. The seat is lifted off, the tied flaps placed over the rear fender, seat refitted, job done. The forward slope of the bags means that the rear springs keep the bags off the tyre. Just shop around

I dont seem able to paste the photo, Ill try again later

Those bags look tiny though, i was after some longer ones which would probably hit the wheel

The ones on now are deeper, so hang further down towards the pipes, and so are kept from the wheel by the springs

On this photo, the bags are located further back, so supports were needed to keep the bags from the wheel

S5001600.jpg

Ride without supports at your own risk. I don't think I need to say anything further on this matter... do I?