after rebuild bike needs more air?

kenDAWG
This post is 4102 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

after doing a topend rebuld on my little dt125r i fitted some carbon reeds and refitted the snorkel while i was at it took her out for a run and she wouldnt go past the 4,000rpm sounded like there wasnt enough air getting to her so i pulled the snorkel back off and she went fine until 6-7k rpm same sound (she has been well run in now)

i have never seen the point in all these holes drilled in air boxes but i couldnt think of any thing else so i drilled out 4 holes the size of 1 pence coins now she runs up to the redline just sounds soooo bloody loud!!

any ideas why with a change of topend she would need more air? and will this be ok?

cheers

ken

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Easy do the math.

4000rpm = 4000 x 125cc gives 500000 cc of air. Thats 500 litres of air a minute.

10000rpm = 10000 x 125cc gives 1.25 million cc of air or 1250 litres of air a minute.

You can get clever with velocities for given diameters and such but it does make you think.

Becomes obvious why the power difference between 2 and 4 strokes too. You can halve those figures for a 125 single.

As to the different top end. Think on this. If the bore is worn on a 4 stroke she burns oil and loses compression.

On a 2 stroke there will be less draw into the cases as charge from above the piston will be drawn down reducing the pull through the carb. Just imagine losing even 5 per cent of the volumes from earlier and the effect on mixture and performance.

no no the filter was brand new pal, oiled it up lightly also...

im guessing like cynic says the topend was worn thefore not drawing as much air as a new topend!

just means the bike must have been setup with the worn topend as it was done in a garage before i bought it!

not to worry she goes well

result

ken