Throttle Cable

Grouch
This post is 4283 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hope you have all had a great Christmas. I haven't been on here for a while because I've just been too busy. Anyway, the other day I started my bike and the revs were really high because the cable was stuck inside the housing on the handlebars. I looked at it and it appears that a bit of plastic has snapped inside causing the head on the end of the cable not been able to grip. This has really pissed me off, If I can I want to sort it myself otherwise it's a trip to the garage again! I've now got no transport and it is really annoying. I am going to have a proper look at it today. Has anybody got suggestions? Also can someone give me an idea of the cost if I take it to a mechanic?

Cheers guys.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thanks DD, the first one looks suspect and the others are in poor condition. I'll have to take a gamble because brand new will cost a fortune. Plus come March she's getting sold.

It looks snapped. The idea is that the cylinder shaped nipple slides through the - what should be round - hole and the wire fits through the slit. Some have one cable connector and some some two but they should look like this (a 2 hole example).

throttle_tube_4.gif

Cheers DD, I've managed to do a bodge job, I'm taking her out in a bit. I think it has snapped a bit but it seems to be working ok now. If it fucks up I'll just have to pull the cable. Just out of curiousity how come that one has two holes, what would two cables be used for?

Some carbs have 2 throttle cables, one to pull and one to push. The TS is like this but I have a single cable conversion on it.

In many decades of riding I have never managed to break a throttle tube.

I did it when I was locking her up , I chain her to a metal fence every night and the height of the fence allows the handlebars on top of it. I was a bit rough and the throttle and its housing got wedged on top of the fence. Just been out for a ride and it's fine. I have to admit though, I have a niggling feeling about it, like its going to fuck up again when I'm ten miles away from home.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online