Riding with a blown indicator bulb

j0hn
This post is 4203 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just noticed this morning that one of my my indicator bulbs was out and I was searching online to see what the law against riding with a blown bulb but didn't really find anything solid. I recall during my CBT, the instructor said that it's still legal to ride providing you use hand signals. I know the best course of action here is to get the bulb replaced as soon as possible, just really bad timing. I'll have to ride early tomorrow morning and back home at night one more time before I can replace them. So I'm wondering what the law is with riding only using hand signals for a period of time and if that applies to night time riding too.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

until you get the indicator bulb sorted make the right hand indicators the ones that work, its far easier to use a hand signal for left turns because you can keep with the throttle

Can I suggest though that you buy two bulbs and then you wont be in a fix next time ;)

What a genius idea to switch the working to right hand side. I had to do to clutch pulls whenever signalling right. Yea I will be getting a set of 4. The annoying this is, a week ago I stocked up on all the necessary bulbs for the bike apart from the indicators :(.

not so sure the fuzz would be happy with you using hand signals..

i doubt its worth the constant stops. and producers even if your perfectly legal. they get fussy if the things flash to fast or to slow.

Don't see the problem. The dt hasnt had indicators for 20 years.

Well from what I've gathered, If the bike came with indicators fitted, they must work or else it's illegal. If it were to undergo a MOT then it would fail, thus illegal to be on the road. If the former rule stands then the exception is made if the bike is on route directly to a garage to have the indicators fixed, in which case hand signals must be used. Similar to the exception made to the going to/coming back from a MOT centre without a tax disc scenario. The only way to pass the MOT would be to take off all the indicators and a small modification to the indicator switch to show that it's non functional. I'm not sure if this would only get you a daytime only MOT certificate but as far as I know, you would only get that if you don't have head/rear lights.

I guess if you were to get stopped then you could play the "I only noticed they were not functioning while on my ride" and depending on the officer at the time, the worst possible outcomes being a £30 fixed penalty notice or a vehicle defect rectification notice - the latter being the worst imo.

failing an MOT is not technically illegal, but is a requirement under the highway code act. It means you can own a vehicle without an MOT but can't use it on the road.

If you don't use your indicators, you'll be just another BMW driver and blend in :D

As said the dt has not had any for years...

Smart arse mot man told me the rear brackets were there so there was provision. 20mins later i was back for a retest minus said frame brakets.

The look on his face was a picture but it passed. Been like that ever since. I'm sure the age of the bike helps. Its been taking me to work for years.

once you have been pulled over by plod and advised to fix them , you will need to fix them ,

bulbs go at any time and plod knows this.

Motorcycles are not legally obliged to have indicators, therefore it is not illegal to not have them. My old Vespa didn't have any. Even so you need them for safety reasons, I would get it sorted quick smart.

Yea got it all sorted that day. By the looks of things, if your motorcycles came with indicators and you take them off, then you will only get a daytime MOT certificate. Source: http://www.ukmot.com/bike/1-5.asp

Nope thats wrong, you can take em off if you wish, mine hasnt had any for 30 years without any issue at all from MOT, Police anything...It's not always covenient though I'm not suggesting it's the 'In thing to do'

Pre 86 it dont matter one way or the other.

aint had indicators on either of my last three bikes, had the harley for two years and had the chopper for three years and the current one for one.

aint had indicators on any of them and dont generally bother with hand signals either.

but the law is

if the bike was registered pre 1986 then it does not have to have indicators, and the brake light only has to be activated by one lever. after 1986 then it HAS to have indicators and the brake must operate off both levers.

how ever if a bulb has blown then if you do get stopped the officer can tell you to get it fixed. or more accurately issue you with a defect notice and then you have 7 days to get the default rectified and to go to the inspection place as informed by the notice to prove you have had the problem fixed.

if you use hand signals then that will draw attention to the fact that you know the bulb is defective and the coppers may get a bit pissy about it, so dont use arm signals just indicate as normal and then fix it asap, and as said earlier buy extra bulbs for the bike. i personally have a few stop/ tail bulbs and headlight and side light bulbs in the garage. i also have bulbs for the car in there aswell.

it is a ten min fix when you get the bulb.

and i have been stopped by both the police and by a vosa roadside inspection team.

i had to explain to the examing officer that the bike was legal with no indicatos, he then had to go ask someone to clarify the facts......

Good point about not drawing attention to yourself by hand signals but I guess it does come with a slight risk. That being said, I'm not sure how many drivers actually pay enough attention on the road to notice hand signals. Wow, I was unaware that VOSA had the power to stop you at roadside.

Personally. Police can be inconvenient. VOSA can do what the holy hell they like. Stop, sieze, hold and of course prosecute.

I see a plod. Not really bothered. VOSA cross your fingers.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online