bolts..

shambles1980
This post is 4289 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

me again..

decided to change the reed block on my rxs.

already had a spare and fiber reeds installed on that. so i went about doing that.

I noticed that most of the bolt heads were 10mm but 1 was 11mm

they were all sorts of diferent lengths 1 was barley long enough to gain purchace on to the actuall cylinder..

so im wondering what bolts should i get for it.

il probably get them from yambits if they have them. but i need to know which.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not familiar with the bike, but some basic rules:

Make sure that you fit the same bolt that came out of the hole. Make a cardboard template/sketch and shove the bolts into the holes so that you've got a map

Its the diameter of a bolt/screw that governs what you order. A bolt with a 10mm hex head across flats will be 6mm diameter by whatever the length is when measured from the underneath of the bolt head ie 6 x 30 is 6mm diameter by 30mm long

Countersunk screws/bolts, length is the complete length of the bolt/screw from top to bottom

8mm across flats is 5mm dia

10mm across flats is 6mm diameter

13mm across flats is 8mm diameter

17mm across flats is 10mm diameter

19mm across flats is 12mm diameter

Having said that, you might occasionally come across some oddball sizes, most important is that you get the diameter and length right

For the bolt that you say isn't long enough, measure the depth of the hole, add on the thickness of the part that is clamped between the bolt and the hole, then take 3mm of that figure.

8mm across flats is 5mm dia

10mm across flats is 6mm diameter

13mm across flats is 8mm diameter or 12 mm across flats on jap bikes

17mm across flats is 10mm diameter or14 mm across flats on jap bikes

19mm across flats is 12mm diameter

The age ol stickler...

To a mechanic a 13mm head is a 13mm bolt.

To an engineer the same bolt is an m8.

When i did the dt i bought a mixed pack from mr fastner. 4,6,8 and ten mm allen headed Semi stainless bolts with nuts.

All metric fine. As i took out a manky one i swapped like for like.

I dont think these things i pulled out are original ones... They seems to be a mish match of any given bolt that some one had at hand that seemed to do the job at the time..

thats why i thought id come check what really should be in there. These bolts may "work" but they arent right..

and i dont want to replace them with a "bolt pick n mix assortment"

I have a feeling that they may be letting air in passed the reedblock causing some of the issues the bike has.

rx says

9750N0652500

BOLT HEX WITH WASHER

000202107X00

i assume they are the same..

and aparantly they should all be the same length.

can any 1 confirm that these will work on a rxs?

and that they should be 4 of the same bolts.. and if possible can some one translate these parts in to bolt sizes for me?

only 1 of the 4 that came off the bike had a washer. so i think that 1 was original. i may be able to use that to source others. but id really like to order them..

i did find one place with them.. 64p for the parts then £8 postage.. seemed a stupid ammount for postage so i passed.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9568/rxpl.jpg

its item "4" in the list

can any one confirm the above?

and hopefully translate some of those numbers i to a bolt that i can use?

the washer isnt a worry i can hust get the callipers on to one thats is actually on the bike. but id like to get these bolts orderd asap...

i have new engine cover bolts on the way decided to go for allen type button, stainless ones, (because i doubt il be re using the rusty ones on there now.

but i really need these bolts for the reed block.

i threw it backtogether looseley. and it revs better with the fyber reeds, but it still has no reall power and if i losen some of the bolts the power issue gets worse, so i really think its sucking some air passed the reedvalve,.

i will be uisng some instant gasket aswell as an official gasket to make sure that there is no issues at all around the area, but i really need the correct bolts.

i found them but £6.50 postage for 4 bolts is not something im willing to spend.
4 bolts are £0.80
total cost comes out to £ 8.76

i want the bolt size's so i can order them some where that is not extortionate on postage . i can send two 4kg xboxes (8Kg total) next day delivery for that kind of money.

4 bolts should be like £0.90 max postage, maybe add on £1.20 for a padded envelope which are only £0.99

but honestly im not paying £8.76 for £0.80 worth of bolts..

Crikey. They are 6mm metric fine with 10mm heads. 30mm or therabouts in length.

Prob get them from screwfix this afternoon if your quick.

great thanx!

i think thats a m6 then il double check that i havent done any engeneering since about 1997

Ah ha..

£1.20 all in !

take that postage costs!

wait 25 or 30mm?
I was still perusing diferent type heads i could use and debating betwen using allen buttons or proper 10mm heads.

(i think the 10mm hex heads would be easiest to use given where it is.)

So this would be a great time to figure out the 5mm diference..

If its not known i think id go for the 25mm as atleast then i can be sure that the dumb thing is on tight. but if it is known either way id like to get the correct length..

having said that even if i order them today they wont be here till after christmas so i guess it not a HUGE rush.

also how are you geting the diamiter and length info, because i cant figure it out from the numbers in the parts list.

rx says

9750N0652500

BOLT HEX WITH WASHER

000202107X00

i assume they are the same..

and aparantly they should all be the same length.

can any 1 confirm that these will work on a rxs?

and that they should be 4 of the same bolts.. and if possible can some one translate these parts in to bolt sizes for me?

only 1 of the 4 that came off the bike had a washer. so i think that 1 was original. i may be able to use that to source others. but id really like to order them..

i did find one place with them.. 64p for the parts then £8 postage.. seemed a stupid ammount for postage so i passed.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/9568/rxpl.jpg

its item "4" in the list

25mm

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online