I'm allowed to be here now.....

Pete
This post is 6833 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

....cos I bought another XT as a ratbike! B)

It's a 1991 XT350....genuine 5500 miles.

Bog standard apart from Renthal bars and a road legal Predator stainless steel sytem.

Cost me a grand....took it for MOT this morning and it sailed through it.

xt50.jpg

xt51.jpg

xt52.jpg

Goes great, engine is as sweet as a nut....just got to give it a serious clean up now.

What do you think? B)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Admin

Sounds like you got yourself a bargain there Pete. I wanted an xt for some fun over the downs here by me, however could never find a decent one!

Sounds like you got yourself a bargain there Pete. I wanted an xt for some fun over the downs here by me, however could never find a decent one!

It's rare to find one in this condition Alex....this one had been stored for years in the warehouse of a carpet shop in town.

The wife noticed the XT cos the despatch doors were open, she told me about it, and I followed it up.

Got a fair bit done on it today! The insurance certificate arrived so I went and taxed it. Then I did a couple of hours work on it.

Then this afternoon I went over to Halfords in Aberystwyth (45 miles) to get a road legal plate, and stopped off in Rhayader on the way back and got a pair of KTM type mirrors for a tenner.

Then back home, fitted plate and mirrors and a bit more tidying up.

It's starting to take shape.....but I've got a lot more to do yet.

Here's how it looks at the moment...

xt55.jpg

Choice looking Rotors there Baz B)

What are those calipers off of?.......Newer R1/R6?.....they look like it ;)

Choice looking Rotors there Baz B)

What are those calipers off of?.......Newer R1/R6?.....they look like it ;)

yeah off a 2001 R1 Scott...stop like the proverbial :P

I did a bit more work on it today.

Last night I drenched the spokes in WD40, so this morning I was able to tension all the loose ones. Loosen off...then tighten...it's a forgotten art.

Also applied Jenolite rust remover to all the bad spots on casings, brackets, frame, bolts, and disk hub.

Plus every spoke was treated with it. Then rubbed down with sandpaper and cleaned up.

Once the treated areas were ready, they were then painted....brackets, rack, footrests, pedals, and stand.

It appears that it still has the original battery, which isn't holding it's charge. So I've got to get another one...about £20 I think.

Also got to get hold of a manual cos I think it's running a bit lean, so I'll have to make a few adjustments in that area.

Plus.....my Michelin Siracs should go on it on Friday!

Why do I do all this to a thousand pound bike?.......Pride of ownership...I don't know any other way! B)

I need to be getting myself one of those toys  B)

You won't regret it Baz! ;) ......They're alot of fun. B)

Cool looking Michelins Pete! B)

They look like they grip pretty well ;)

Cool looking Michelins Pete! B)

They look like they grip pretty well ;)

Fantastic on tarmac but no good for hardcore offroad work. But I don't think I'll be going there.

The most hardcore I get is using cold instead of warm water to wash the bike! :lol:

Here's a couple more shots taken today....

xt62.jpg

xt63.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online