Help with 77 dt 250

77 dt 250
This post is 4162 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Im not familiar with it, but looking at the parts book I see it has a tension spring that pulls the brake pedal back up once it is pressed ?

This is unlike the 175 which uses a different method to return the lever...a 'torsion' spring.

Another thing I see is there is nno 'lug' drawn on the picture of the brake arm as you have said!

so then... I'm wondering if the brake lamp operating spring somehow hooks under the brake return 'tension' spring....is this feasible?

Dont know if your sorting the spring type of brake switch to be in keeping the bike standard or not? but I do away with all my springs and connection bars on mine and fit these pressure switches. for both front and rear master cylinders

brakeswitch.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

EDIT

just had a thought being a 77 yours will most probably have a drum set up, so the pressure switch wont be much use will it? anyway for those that do have, use a brake pressure switch much easier than springs and rods.

Thanks guys. I cant see how it would airhead. ive gone that route. i found a pic of a switch on ebay and it showed a curved rod attached to the spring on the switch but i can find where it would attach if i had it. And yes NEV it is a drum system but thanks for the idea

Post up a picture of the assembley maybe then we could figure it out.

I also have another question. This is my first bike of any kind. I bought it as a project and it wasnt running. Ive got it road worthy now and have been learning to ride.

My question is, is it normal for it to smoke at higher speeds (55 mph) in high gear?. Thats really the only time it smokes.

Did you have the cylinder bored? If not it prolly is just REALLY broke in, depending on the miles. Ya know, burning crankcase oil at high revs? How about a pic or your gem? I had one in '77, stolen in '78. Broke my heart, man. :crying:

btw, I use photobucket for posting pics.

Woah. ....

Cpuple of questions first....

The only smoke is at high rpm?

How does it run and ride

Is it using or contaminating the gearbox oil

How does it start

Does it need choke

You may just be burning crap out of the pipe where it hasnt been used. First few times i gave my TDR a proper spanking it looked like a red arrow.

The worse smoke is when im crusing at highway speeds. Other than that i dont really notice it. it starts easy. I do have to choke it sometimes but mainly when its cold out. It runs and rides great.

Could it be since its air cooled that at high speed its running cold and that causing the smoke? Its been cold lately