Yamaha dt/ag 175 1974 no spark

Dt175
This post is 4023 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Gday, when i purchased this bike it ran rough, but did run consistently.

no upon trying to start i cannot get a spark.

the electrics are all working, and the spark plugs have been replaced.

I know the condensor can be the cause of this problem but are there any other things that impact it? ignition timing etc? If so a little guidance on how to solve this problem would be greatly appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Also, the bike came with a range of "spares" for dt 175's.

im curious as to what this is

P5080115.jpg

It looks like a condensor in some ways, but i just dont know

G"day, take of the magnito cover, with ignition on, get someone to kick it over, while you look thru windows of flywheel, the darker the better, if no spark at points, they could be worn[ closed] or the condencer fked, or earthing against back plate, if she was running rough,

i would say adjust points,

that don"t look like my condencer, :eusa_think:

Thanks guys i removed the flywheel cover and could not see a spark.

to check further i went to remove the main nut covering the magneto but its near impossible to unlodge because it just turns the chain with it.

Any advice?

you'll need a magneto puller anyway even when you get the nut off.

You'll need to get a good grip of the magneto to undo the nut and it's a must to re-torque the nut to specification on re-assembly

myself, I use a chain type filter wrench to grip the flywheel for these purposes and place some fabric/rubber strips cut from work gloves under the chain to aid grip...it works a treat

400_ChainWrench.jpg

400_FlyWrench.jpg

Flywheel Puller

400_Puller.jpg

Are these available at most bike shops?

Just one point i thought i should mention ive done this 12 volt conversion successfully (i think) as in all the lights run well of it.

when kicking it over, though theres no spark visible, as it turns the metre backing lamp and headlamp turn on

this seems to indicate some power?

Also, the bike came with a range of "spares" for dt 175's.

im curious as to what this is

P5080115.jpg

It looks like a condensor in some ways, but i just dont know

Hi

It does look like a condenser and it could be with the bike spares as a stand in condenser, some trials/enduro riders used to ditch the condenser in the magneto and have a condenser remotely wired out side of the magneto in the event of a breakdown/engine drowning they were able them to swap out the condenser with out removing the engine cases, when I was unable to get a correct condenser for my DT, I wired a car type condenser purchased from a general auto store remotely under the tank, this condenser had a slip on metal 'P' type clip and this was also the ground connection,

Aj

• 2 weeks later...

Gday guys so I recieved the flywheel puller, but it is the flywheel cover's centre nut that is doing my head in. i just cant get it off, i dont have one of the chain pullers nor do i know where to get one, does anyone have any other methods of its removal?

With assistance try putting the bike in a high gear and getting someone to sit on it and hold on the brakes, not a great method it places the crank under twisting stress...but no tools required.

or find chain filter wrench...can it really be that hard?

NOTE*** Check Capacity***

http://www.tengtools.com.au/chain-filter-wrench.html

hey guys im in!
i made it through after all that
what a found was a generally pretty grimy scene but most noticebly a badly dented condensor,
apart from the condensor though i dont really know what im looking for, any ideas/tests?

ill upload photos soon

Looks pretty clean in there, the points , while down this far renew them, they"l be pitted , or the bakalite bit that runs on cam will be worn, [ thats why they need ajustment ] , In fact , looking at piccy, they points should be touching the cam [ in centre] :eusa_think: Unless the cam is on the flywheel,

i just ordered a new condensor/points repair kit.
with the capacitor i suspected it before, because it was slightly wet with a fuel or oil, would this short it?

Its wet because of my own mistake, i accidentley knocked the fuel tap switch and it spurted fuel over everything for a second haha

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online