DT 50 MX Wiring / Lights Problem

sword70
This post is 4321 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have been struggling to resolve an electricla problem on our DT 50 and am now stumped.

I get the bike running and check brake lights, headlight, horn, neutral light and rear light and all work great, as soon as i put the indicators on most of the time the indicators work as they should but always make all of the lights flash in time with the flasher relay and also the horn pulses in tune with it as well.

Most of the time indicators alone work fine but on occasion they will not work at all which doesnt help either.

I have cleaned up all the contacts i can get at with my dremel, checked the loom and replaced large ammounts of corroded wire and made a seperate earth loom feeding the rear lights and then another for anything up front needing an earth using all new wire and connectors.

Have also taken apart as many switches as i could and cleaned up contacts there, only things i havent managed to clean up are a couple of the multi block connectors on the femal side as i dont have a dremel bit small enough to get in there.

Would like to get bike up for mot asap and this is holding me back, any advice no matter how obvious would be appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

There is a brown and brown / white wire on flasher relay, brown is power from ignition switch, brown and white is return up to the indicator switch.

Will give your sugestion a go , cheers

Check the +ve feed into the flasher isn't incorrectly linked. This MAY be the feed from the ignition (as per Airheads suggestion). This maybe causing the whole of the left hand switch unit to be live causing all items controlled by this unit to flash. This could also be caused by a short in the left hand switch.

I managed to check out your ideas and bypassed the brown wire direct to the battery and everything worked as it should and to top it all the bike flew through its mot today after not being on the road for about 7 years so well chuffed.

Noticed since bypassing the brown wire all the lights are allot brighter and the bike starts better than it every has but now the pressure is off as its mot'd i will track down the fault then fix and put back to how it should be.

Thanks for all the advice, i now have one very happy 16 year old about to hit the road solo for the first time tomorrow.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online