Advice on changing footpegs.

Grouch
This post is 4336 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have just got some new foot pegs for my XT. I had a quick look today and the fitting for the old ones are rusted and corroded solid. I can't afford to start the job and then fucking it up, because I will have no transport. Can any one offer any words of wisdom? I'm wary of the pin snapping and not been able to get it out.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I am at work at the minute. I had a look at the existing pegs and the fixings are all rusted and I have a bad feeling that once I start removing them, they will have seized and I won't be able to get them off. I might just blather them in WD40 overnight before I start to change them.

Do that, or if you have a heat gun, apply some heat

Whats wrong with the ones that are already on the bike?

I'm changing them because the rubber is really worn down, nearly to the metal. Also I found the replacements cheap on eBay. I daren't take the existing ones of because the fixings are all corroded and rusted, knowing my luck something will go wrong and there's no way I can ride my bike without pegs.

I'm changing them because the rubber is really worn down, nearly to the metal. Also I found the replacements cheap on eBay. I daren't take the existing ones of because the fixings are all corroded and rusted, knowing my luck something will go wrong and there's no way I can ride my bike without pegs.

Haha yeah that would suck losing your pegs. Isnt the rubber replaceable? Im not sure how they are on your bike but most enduro/sm styles have rubber inserts.

I thought about changing the rubber but they are glued on or something and would be a ballache to change. It's my day off work tomorrow so I'm going to have a go, I also a new bash plate to put on.

Finally got round to it today. It only took me 15 minutes and it went smoothly. They were held in by pins which

were easy enough to get out. I thought they would get stuck because in the shaft because they were that

corroded and rusted. I was lucky to get some brand new original Yamaha ones for about a fifth of what they

cost from a normal supplier. Here's one of the old ones, in a very sorry state. The rubber had worn down to

the metal.

B749B44C-E8EE-4FC3-A54A-574A16127BA1-1705-0000020BEA64F009.jpg

Strange. Rubber pegs on a dirt bike. My dt has steel jobbies that will outlast the bike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online