Fz600 Gulf

drewpy
This post is 2854 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I had some 10w already and decided to try it. racing on smooth tarmac is a bit different than these pot holed roads I traverse.

I believe an early r6 shock fits the FZ chassis but may need the spring uprated due to the way the link system works.

• 2 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

finally ditched the useless rear mirrors and fitted some cbr600 ones.

had to keep the brackets but at least I can see behind me and they look better IMHO

WP_20141129_001_zps93e0d8d5.jpg

• Like 1

bike partially stripped for frame powder coating.

625ef4e7-7021-443c-b7f4-039bae821074_zps

drained the oil as it was warm, will drop the engine and store.

just need to see how I can mod the brand new Hagon shock I got as it was originally for a cbr600. (unless someone wants a swop)

• 2 weeks later...

stripped even more of the bike today. just the engine and and little bits to go.

I was mainly messing with the new shock and coming up with a workable length.

Can anyone lend/sell a YPVS dog bone links, i just need them to see what I can achieve with the height. or failing that the actual length of them so i have a starting figure?

look like these

YPVJackupkit.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

well I've decided not to go the CBR shock route now, too much hassle. It is going to be cheaper to get the original shock rebuilt!

so I've put it on the market to sell.

the bike is totally stripped now and I've noticed the head is weeping slightly, I have a head gasket so might swap the head for the refurbed one I already have and keep the later XJ cams.

I already had tapered head bearings fitted but they were pretty loose, but well greased. I had purchased a set thinking that they were knacked, might still fit them though!

I'm going to visit the powder coaters soon, keeping with the silver for the frame as it ties in the forks and swing arm and just looks right.

Picking up some more plastics friday from a guy off facebook FZ600 page :)

took out the head bearings today and gave the front end a good clean.

the parts list grows (doesn't it always) and gaskets cost a fortune. Ordered a new oil strainer as couldn't get it completely clean!

needing some stainless hoses all round too!

eh? £57 for 8 valve seals!! :eusa_doh:

FFS, I'm gonna order some viton from the USA £18 for 8 and a superior product

• 2 weeks later...

took the head off today and it was fairly coked up. cyl #4 was running slightly weak.

when the head was off this greeted me :(

WP_20150118_003_zpsbf60d242.jpg

now I have a spare barrel from the FZ engine, but the bores in this still have their honing present

WP_20150118_004_zps10e1dd62.jpg

maybe i can get the liners changed over into the fz barrel

thoughts please?

Drewps

Bloody ell drewps. a crack" cylinder 4 lean ? was valve burnt ? is that where the weep was,

Bloody ell drewps. a crack" cylinder 4 lean ? was valve burnt ? is that where the weep was,

not it was #1 that was leaking

not super weak by any stretch just a tweek needed on the carbs. I think that the PO crushed the rubber O ring as it was really hard to pull out and was peened over

• 2 weeks later...

decided to trial fit the R6 shock I got, def doable. make an adapter for the top of the shock to clear and hopefully I can use the YVPS dogbones as the original hits the rebound adhuster.

can someone please, if you have a YVPS, measure the swing arm bracket length and inner diameter?

WP_20150129_003_zps56695e16.jpg

WP_20150129_002_zpsad11110c.jpg

someone did a lovely CNC version

swingarmview_zps6cc2317a.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow what a bargain :headbang:

if they work, no big deal if they don't.

hopefully getting the paint off to andy2bikes in derby this week unless I get a better offer/quality on price

switch gear done, shock mounts will be done this week and I'll have the front shocks done as I've got some racetech linear springs to fit in there.

I'm off work now so I'll strip the other engine this week and see what I have cylinder wise

then powder cost frame and then rebuild starts

I think you'll find if your front brake don't work Its a big deal :eusa_think:

I'll just use the original :eusa_doh: