Hello - New member from Surrey

This post is 4196 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello

Well I have achieved a boyhood ambition and bought myself a Yamaha DT. Picked up a 2004 model RE with 9,000 miles on the clock. I am a complete and utter novice. Never ridden before but a new job and possible commute has given me a chance to justify the purchase. (Surprising the guvnor said I could get one...>I thought she would object)

Got my CBT booked for Saturday, have done a taster session and absolutely loved it so fingers crossed it all goes well.

Am based around Surrey and will be commuting to Putney. Am too old but since I wee lad I always wanted a red and white 125 DT but never really followed it through. Now I have a blue and white one but that'll do me.

Apologies in advance I I will no doubt be asking some numpty questions in the future. I have had a good look around the forum and boy there is some knowledge here and admiring people's projects.

Anyway probably enough from me. Hope I can contribute in some way

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Funtime Dave,

Congratulations on the dream purchase....

Good luck with the test and hope you love every minute on the bike. Just watch out on the A3 & Putney High street - some right mindless fouls on the roads around there.. .

Hi Funtime Dave,

Congratulations on the dream purchase....

Good luck with the test and hope you love every minute on the bike. Just watch out on the A3 & Putney High street - some right mindless fouls on the roads around there.. .

Cheers fella - yeah thanks for the advice. Mate was saying the A3 is pretty chocca in the mornings so there is a procession of bikes filtering...I am hoping safety in numbers. Was looking at maybe a route through Richmond Park to avoid the A3...not sure yet.

Being new I have a whole heap of questions from clothing, security to just general bike maintenance. Where is a good place to ask .... I will try and limit as I don't want to just bowl into the forum and then ask a shitload of advice...dunno is that okay?

My brother in law is a bike fiend he loves 'em...,,so he is giving me some heads up....he was saying maybe check out JnS superstore in New Malden.....appreciate can probably pick up kit cheaper on ebay but hesitant to do that without trying it all first since starting from a low knowledge base.

Am thinking the buy once, buy right approach even if means a few more bucks. Any views on RST for textiles he was bigging up the paragon range but then he does a proper motorway commute and a lot of social riding.

Man is it wrong that I dream of my new bike.......I really can't wait to get on it.....hope I ain't been ripped off by the dealer

Hey Dave and welcome to the forum. I'm new to the biking scene too, and loving every minute.

Good luck with your CBT, be safe and enjoy yourself!

Dave, life's too short to worry about money ;).. specially with dealers.

J&S are good guys and they do price match other stores so no harm in having a look there / doing a price comparison and you are under no pressure to buy then and there.

Fully agree though, you have to try all the gear on as comfort is a priority (as is safety of course).

A3 is a right bugger and Richmond Park is lovely just mind those cyclists - they ride all over the place (mainly due to the crap surface) - oh and the occasional dear bolting but fantastic ride none the less..

Happy riding!!

Welcome dave," :wavey: take it easy for a start, ,,, busy place that surry, i worked in Carshalton rd in 2004,

Hi Dave and welcome! First and cheap bit of security is to buy a bike cover! keeps the bike hidden and folks cant tell if its a push bike or a motor circle. (out of sight out of mind type of thing) then get a good chain and lock. as for clothing, im a young lad but am in the old school rut and all i own is a leather jacket, draggin jeans and a pair of gortex trousers that i wear if it gets really chilly on the old willy. o and a pair of terminator boots from Lidl for £25 :D

All in all, good luck with the CBT not that you need it as you really need to be blind deaf, dumb and a complete ball bag to fail it Ha Ha

Hi Dave welcome..Go and try on everything sizes are different by brand slightly and if your going the whole package,boots glovesjacket ect.. don't settle for the tag price barter for the best discount 15-20% or more the mark up on the gear is 100-300% in most shops.So they can come down alot in price.As most will tell you expencive is not always the best realy look at the stiching some of the stuff gets pumped out of littel sweat shop from all around the world and is not that great.So if the first pair of say gloves dosent fit perfect try on another.

Great intro and start to the forum dave. Don't you just love it when "the govner" agrees!!. I used to go to junior school and live in carlshalton.

RST are alright. Weise and spada are another 2 brands with a good reputation. Look at Oxford for security chains and the likes. I use the hardcore and nemesis ranges.

Good luck

Great intro and start to the forum dave. Don't you just love it when "the govner" agrees!!. I used to go to junior school and live in carlshalton.

RST are alright. Weise and spada are another 2 brands with a good reputation. Look at Oxford for security chains and the likes. I use the hardcore and nemesis ranges.

Good luck

Cheers for the replies guys. Will check out the brands mentioned and have a bit of a barter over the price. Helmet wise (no sniggering at the back)...Am looking to spend max a ton fifty...was deffo lookin at full face and maybe the http://www.thebikerstore.co.uk/products/Caberg-V2RR-Matt-Black.html. Anyone got any recommendations to try out. I have read up about making sure it fits just looking for some people's experiences with certain brands at that kind of budget etc etc.

Hi dave, good to have you on board, I also commute every morning on the a3 and it isn't to bad after first couple of runs so be patient and enjoy, as for gear, don't avoid eBay I myself have purchased tons of bike stuff on there and have never been disapointed, rst are a great brand but spada are also very good with excellent value for money of you just want a cheap starter kit, Oxford for safety and maybe look for a ground anchor to chain to if it's not in a locked garage, good luck on cbt mate, remember its just to say you've been given the compulsory training so relax and enjoy the day :)

Hi Dave and welcome! First and cheap bit of security is to buy a bike cover! keeps the bike hidden and folks cant tell if its a push bike or a motor circle. (out of sight out of mind type of thing) then get a good chain and lock. as for clothing, im a young lad but am in the old school rut and all i own is a leather jacket, draggin jeans and a pair of gortex trousers that i wear if it gets really chilly on the old willy. o and a pair of terminator boots from Lidl for £25 :D

All in all, good luck with the CBT not that you need it as you really need to be blind deaf, dumb and a complete ball bag to fail it Ha Ha

Well I guess I should update my post. Failed my CBT .......... there was a lack of ability on my part....never ridden a bike ever either geared or automatic and coupled with me being a mal corde and dodgy instructors it all went a bit pear shaped. They just seemed to want to rush through things with the day being adevrtised as 9-5 but it didn't start till 10.30 and they were looking to finish by 3pm latest.

On positive I have since PASSED my CBT(with same company at a reduced rate) however i think the company was a bit dodge. On the last part on the road we literally spent 30 minutes max on the road before we went back and got given our certificates?? I thought it was meant to be two hours minimum. Place had dodgy equipment as well really not impressed - anyway done now - I can focus on getting some proper training and pottering around some empty car parks.

Bike has arrived - looking smart - sadly it doesn't fit done my side alleyway so now sitting on driveway with two bloody big padlocks round the front and back wheels and metal fence. I will get some pictures up possibly next weekend.

Wheels have a lot of rust on them - hoping this ain't a problem and will get busy with a wire brush - any advice?

Cheapest insurance seems to be either e-bike or bennets. E bike are a £100 cheaper but bennets seem more established - again any advice on insurance. I guess I should move this kinda stuff out of the new member forum.

Anyway thanks for the hellos. Failing my CBT felt like something no one really talks about like a hidden secret but all good now I passed just gotta man up and get on the road.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online