Getting pulled over

Grover
This post is 4342 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey fellas, just a quick one (not STRICTLY motorcycle related, but its close enough)

when you are signalled to pull over by a police officer in a vehicle, how should you go about stopping? should you pull over onto double yellows or go a little further to where theres a more appropriate spot?

i only ask because its a criminal offence not to stop, and also a criminal offence to stop where its not legal (such as on double yellows)

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It is my understanding that unless you are endangering lives (be it your own or that of another) they will wait until there is a safe place to stop nearby, be it a lay-by or sidestreet, before giving you the blues and twos.

however, i vaguely remember seeing one of those car chase shows on TV and it mentioned something like they cannot prosecute you for failing to stop if they attempt to pull you over in an unmarked car

but if its a marked car, and im on the A6 into preston (basically double yellows all the way), then i should pull over anyway, provided that i can do so without hindering traffic, or endangering anybody (keeping clear of junctions/crossings etc)

its a criminal offence not to stop, and also a criminal offence to stop where its not legal

.........unless authorised to do so by a police officer.

Stop where safe even on double yellows. If police not happy it's safe they'll tell you to go somewhere else and stop.

.......when you are signalled to pull over by a police officer in a vehicle, how should you go about stopping? should you pull over onto double yellows or go a little further to where theres a more appropriate spot?....

Somewhere safe, just dont panic.

Just out of interest how many points you got on your licence.

What's a licence?

Just out of interest how many points you got on your licence.

none in thirty two years? how about you..

none in thirty two years? how about you..

None in forty one years of riding and you should know better than encouraging younger riders not to stop for the police that's how fatalities happen even if it was supposed to be a joke.

i used to own a blue cortina, the most stolen car in the uk.

I got stopped all the time. As soon as i see cops behind me, I'd just pull over, open the boot and glove compartment and wait....

nowt to hide and was sick of doing "producers" at the local nick (remember those?)

I had a purbeck grey cortina but didn't like the colour so had it sprayed green.

Been told that the police wont turn on the blues & twos until they believe it's safe for the driver to pull over (unless said driver is driving recklessly!).

Remember to be polite and courteous too - Start with "Morning/afternoon/evening Officer..."

Try not to lose your rag, even with the young ones.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online