XT250 (carb) will be enought?

This post is 4353 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello Motovirus buddys: do you think is enough a 250 c.c. (carb) motorbike travelling two people to go camping around 5.000 miles with all the gear? We will do soft off-road paths, no highways, some paved road hills and a lot of wind (New Zealand). I can't take my XT600, is cheaper to buy an used motorbike in that country.

I did that plenty of times in my life but always with at least 600 c.c. mono (XT600, NX650 Dominator). We will have a lot of time, I don't care speeding only at 60/65 mph. I saw people travelling around South America with 125 c.c. engines, but whithout passengers.

Thanks a lot.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes. A 4 stroke 250cc. Just take your time and it will make it a better adventure.

I was reading a book about a guy riding all the way across south America on a Honda 90 a few months back.

People have toured on Honda C50's but New Zealand has some big big hils doesnt it?...I would think 400cc+ would suit better ...why 250?

Well, my budget is between 4.000 to 5.000 NZD, a DR350 SE is short for luggage, a DRZ400 is pretty small for two, the DR650 SE's are very expensive (even 1998 models, the same than KLR's 650), and I found a 2000 XT600E (like the one I have) but very very used off-road with 45.000 miles (like mine) :icon_smile: The XT350's and NX350 Sahara don't exist in that country. The XT's 250 c.c. i found in www.trademe.co.nz are very new (2009 to 2011 models) and have a good petrol range of kms/litre (mpg).

Thanks again, DirtyDT!

Yeeaaah the KLE 500 is a perfect bike including riding in sand. Nothing in NZ. The KLE650 Versys is so expensive! Honda's SLR650? Never hear about she, nothing in NZ also. Talking with my son, they aren't big trails at all, the kiwis preferred "RR" machines, and the farmer's Dual Purposes have not more than 200/250 c.c. engines.

The other options for my budget could be a 2008 Kawasaki KLX 250 -very small gas tank, a nightmare when you are away from any gas station-, and Honda's XR 250 o 650 c.c. (the same and my backside get burn after the first 500 miles).

Yamaha XT: bullet proof, very good mpg, good headlamp, off road and two persons capability, excelent torque, easy to find spares parts. And is a Yamaha!

I have had both KLE's and SLR's. Great bikes for this work and my old KLE had been around Europe a few times.

TDM850, Tenere, Transalp?

Hey, thanks again! :beerchug: I can't ride a bike seat higher from ground over 850 cm (34") or/and over 160 kg (350 pounds) weight. Imagine with load (camping gear, tools, water, gasoline...) because I'm short (typicall latin height). That's the specs of my XT600, and sometimes I can't deal it very well, specially in mud, sand or rocks surfaces. I know that is possibly to change the foam of the seat and put a gel one, and work with the suspensions, but I will lose the best joy driving off-road. :D and practise my limits that I know very well: the floor. :P

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online