Spokes from Taiwan

Adil
This post is 4347 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi , I am currently visiting Taipei and had a friend look up if spokes for my CT2 would be available. He gave me a cost of about 0.30 USD per piece but was asking for exact lenght before getting a final cost detail. I think the cost for a set shipped would come down to 50% of the ones sold out of Thailand.

I have 18 inch wheels frond and back.

Does someone have the exact length, inner and outer? I would hate to have to take them off the bike to measure.

Thanks,

Adil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

This is a little more complicated than it sounds. As i see it, and i could be wrong, there are 4 main criteria for a spoke;

Thickness - get this wrong and the hub and rim holes will need to be drilled out or the wheel may buckle if too thin

Length - get this wrong and they just won't fit

Length of thread - get this wrong and there will be thread showing above the nipple or you won't be able to tighten the spoke up

Angle of head - another "won't fit" issue

The head angle and length will normally change on a single wheel so from the (36?) spokes on each wheel you would end up with 18 of each kind. Even with two wheels with the same diameter the hubs are nearly certainly different so you will need to have all the measurements for the 4 types of spokes you need. Just to make sure. It is a long way to take them back if you have issues.

Sorry but cheap spokes is something i just could not live with.

Just thinking about the mess if a wheel fails is just...................

Although I'm admittedly a noobie here, I do have experience with "outsourced" or non-original spoke kits for vintage bikes. My advice is to not do it- the temptation is there because they're cheap, but something always seems to be lost in translation. Bends can be just different enough as to not fit correctly, threading differences, lengths, thicknesses, metal strength, etc. are all variables. You'd think spokes would be simple, but in reality they're not and you're better off holding out for original Yamaha parts, or re-plating (clear zinc) your originals in the off season. You'll avoid much frustration this way!

Although I'm admittedly a noobie here, I do have experience with "outsourced" or non-original spoke kits for vintage bikes. My advice is to not do it- the temptation is there because they're cheap, but something always seems to be lost in translation. Bends can be just different enough as to not fit correctly, threading differences, lengths, thicknesses, metal strength, etc. are all variables. You'd think spokes would be simple, but in reality they're not and you're better off holding out for original Yamaha parts, or re-plating (clear zinc) your originals in the off season. You'll avoid much frustration this way!

Good reply" and welcome :wavey: Covers most angles of this topic,,, :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online