fairing spark splitters and led question(s)

shambles1980
This post is 4258 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ok, so i have my little rxs, and im going to be making it road legal.

i would really like to umm "pimp it out" (i think thats the term)

1st id really like to know if i can get some sort of faring. something preferably like this

ffa-su750-06-w.jpg

no idea where id get one for a rxs 100 though..

and then lets say i changed the lights and stuff on the bike for led after market lights. what would be my best bet.

do i need to re do the whole bike's wiering "start from scratch" to make it all 12v. or would i be able to say leav it at 6v, but make a little pcb. with some transitors and a few caps and put those inline with the lighting so it bumps the 6v up to 12v just for the lights.

Also given that i have thought about making the little amp "as it were" to boost the power to the lights are there any pre made units out there that would do the same thing?

i dont have any problems making the actual pcb's if its a viable solution, but i would want to make some sort of water proof housing for them, and im not able to do that. the best i could do would be to put them in a small box "which would b used as a mould". then fill that up with silicone. then pull it out of the box when the silicone has set.

And one last thging.

i have seen things called "multi spark" you basically cut the ht lead, and screw it inline before the spark plug. then it splits the power it gets so you get 5 sparks instead of 1.

This is suposedly ment to improve power and economy by burning off all the fule in the cylinder. where as 1 spark would fail to burn it all..

"personally i dont see how it can burn off any more than 1 spark can, because of the compression then ignition feature of internal combustion engines"

But if any one knows that they really do work then let me know.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Write down the cost of pimping your ride. Add 10% for any additional fixings, wires etc. Add all this up and see what you can buy for the same money.

Easier to sell a standard bike than a Frankenstein modified one!

There used to be a bikini fairing and bellypan combo for it. I think the rd125 stuff would fit pretty easily too.

Maybe the tzr125. With the right paint some 3 spokes and a single seat that could be fun.

Tbh i think the little rxs is a pretty ok bike anyway. Certainly compared to the suzuki gp100.

As to the spark thingy. If it was wort fitting fo you not think they would be on all the top 1000cc stuff. Its junk. A gimmick at best. I have heard the idea before. Create a more complete burn with longer spark duration.

http://www.airtech-s...amaz/YZR350.htm they are just 1 of many companys who sell body work I just picked

that 1 Would make a nick 350 mihgt go looking for a 350,they have 100's more body kits to chose from.

Spark spliter =crap put a 12v system in palce and biger coil will work better.Or a full MSD ignition system but the weight would out weigh the hp gain.Google MSD if you don't know what it is.

i was under the impression that if there was an ignition of fuel all fuel in cylinder would be burnt?

sounds like tosh to me!

Nope less than 80% gets burnt 100% thats why they put cat converters on to burn the rest.

hmms some of the rd125 stuff looks good, so il see if i can get any for that.

the spark splitter thing does sound a lot like a gimik to me too. But as i was planing of swappig the reeds for the hy tech reeds, i wasnt worrying about extra power with the reeds though, they are more of a "well if it breaks atleast its not steel churning up in side the engine"

but given that they boast extra power i was wondering if they also increase emissions which then lead me to the spark splitter jobbys..

but i guess thats not an issue.

I have been looking at how others change the lighting from 6v to 12v. and seems a prety simple process. but I dont think i like that method really. and im sure the same outcome could be gained with a couple of cap's a transistor and maybe a diode and resister. but the diode and resister really shouldnt be needed.

But i really do think that 12v lighting would be preferable to 6v.

I would really prefer the whole thing being 12v though. and maybe using resistors to lower some of it to 6v if it absolutley has to be 6v.

i just think 6v is a bit weak for any sort of bike.

Think i may have sourced a possible tzr 125 top and bottom for this.

Hope i can jam it on the bike some how lol and it wont kill the engine by reducing the air cooling.

finaly got to tinker with the bike some today. only a few mins 10/15 but it was long enough to get the old head off check the cylinder "which looks perfect" and throw on the new head "re used the old gasket for now as i will be rebuilding any way"

Sounds much better with the new head no more horrible hiss of losing power..

Dont think i will helicoil the old head though. a replacment head seems to be cheaper than a helicoil kit..

still unsure what to do about the 6v. but its getting there now.

Using your electrical toys to up the voltage won't help you.

If you follow general electrical laws then doubling the source voltage will halve the available power. Starting with 24 and chopping it down would give you 8 times the power at 6.

You need to swap out the source coil to give a decent supply behind the voltage. As said by many," its not the volts that kill you." thats all you will get amping up the voltage.

Using your electrical toys to up the voltage won't help you.

If you follow general electrical laws then doubling the source voltage will halve the available power. Starting with 24 and chopping it down would give you 8 times the power at 6.

You need to swap out the source coil to give a decent supply behind the voltage. As said by many," its not the volts that kill you." thats all you will get amping up the voltage.

quite sure if i add enough caps as a resivuoir then it would work atleast for the lights.

but i guess its a bit of un needed work for brighter lights and possible after market indecators, so il put that one on the back burner for now.

hmms some of the rd125 stuff looks good, so il see if i can get any for that.

the spark splitter thing does sound a lot like a gimik to me too. But as i was planing of swappig the reeds for the hy tech reeds, i wasnt worrying about extra power with the reeds though, they are more of a "well if it breaks atleast its not steel churning up in side the engine"

but given that they boast extra power i was wondering if they also increase emissions which then lead me to the spark splitter jobbys..

but i guess thats not an issue.

I have been looking at how others change the lighting from 6v to 12v. and seems a prety simple process. but I dont think i like that method really. and im sure the same outcome could be gained with a couple of cap's a transistor and maybe a diode and resister. but the diode and resister really shouldnt be needed.

But i really do think that 12v lighting would be preferable to 6v.

I would really prefer the whole thing being 12v though. and maybe using resistors to lower some of it to 6v if it absolutley has to be 6v.

i just think 6v is a bit weak for any sort of bike.

Hmm mabey re tink this whole project just on a guess tis going to cost in wards of 2-3 k to do right hope .you realy love that bike

well the faring im sourcing is only £45. so thats not so bad at all.

im about £100 in on parts for the engine rebuild that with reed valves.

im thinking about getting disk breaks for the front probably off of a tzr or dt thats probably going to cost a bit. copule of hundred maybe depending if i need the whole front end forks excetera. but i may not bother with the disk breaks for a while

things like a new sproket for the front will be like £20

so even with sandblasting and respray excetera i should be able to come in under £6-£700

the bike was free... and i figure that after its done it would cost me more than £700 to buy the same bike in the same condition..

maybe im wrong but im pretty sure that's right.

also its a good little bike that il probably let my wife have after a while, but only when im confident she wont just dissapear over the horizon screaming 1st thing she lets go of the clutch. I really think she should get a 4 stroke lol.

if the bike was free it would be well worth restoring it to original condition and selling it on, as was mentioned before you will get more money for a near original classic bike than you would for a modified one

well i dunno.. I wouldn't like to give some one something for free then they turn around and sell it.

and regardless of that. i think id like to keep it any way. i do like the little bike.

ok..

so i should have the front end faring for a tzr on the way..

now for the tail end..

do you guys think that the tail fairing from ybr 125 would fit ?

"without having to hack the seat up. or change it for a different one"

I think it may..

but as usual i would like an expert opinion. so i ask you guys..

any way here are 2 examples of the biks just in case you want a visual reference..

149091494.jpgYBR125.jpg

LMFAO if your thinking to fit that to that For less than 1000.00 and it will look not butchered your :crazy:

If the bike was free then restore it .......drive it ...and save for a bike.

It will never go down in value it's to old .If it runs it's worth x $$ and always be worth at least that

To realy get your time and $$ worth out of bulilding a bikeup ...do a bike you will keep

Then instead of a bike your board with in a few months you will have a keeper. :eusa_think:

Have you never just decided to make a project Just because you can/want to. with no aims for making money at the end of it?

its some thing to do. and the costs arent really an issue. and when your talking about farings.. Its not like they are permenant fittings..

so even if costs do start to mount up on my project i can still use the bike as i work on the asthetics.. so it really isnt a problem.

also I dont believe my hands are made out of clay. and that i cant manufacture a few brakets and weld a few things together if needed. I only did 12 months engineering back in 1995.. But i can still use power tools and weild an ark/mig or oxy acetylene If push comes to shove. I may not have the tools/workplace to do more intrecate work. But cutting and making brackets i can manage..

the costs may seem low to you. and prehaps thats correct. but the way i see it if i wanted to spend a few thousad to get some one els to make my bike look how i wanted it. I may as well just buy the same old factory churned out bike every one els is buying.

but then where is the fun in that?

Ooooh juicy comments.

For me? Go for it shambles, motorcycles are about the individual. Hell i chopped an original 1961 landrover about to make a comp car. Fitted a load of shit people told me wouldnt fit. Like range rover axles to leaf springs, auto box, RR power steering.

Cost me thousands, had several years of sillyness before the kids turned up and i ran out of cash. Sold as spares for 700quid.

Would i do it again..... Fucking right i would.

Same on my 350 the 175. Most of my cars.

Its not like its the last rxs on the planet, lets face it. Much as people argue if your going for a custom its far better to start with a good donor.

Hell why stop with the body. Liquid cooled 200 motor would be fun. Might want a disk on the front though.

Enjoy what you got God knows if you will get another go.

led lights will draw less current than standard

you need led indictors with resitors if fitting to 6 v you may not need the resitors i am not sure an a bright halogen headlight

so i would convert to 12 v to be honest

i have a front caliper off a sach xtc if by any chance it will fit you can have it for postage costs

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online