Healthy Basic bike maintence 101

dt502001
This post is 4365 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

1 change your oil every 3 months.or 3000 miles 4x bikes...... 2t gear oil 1 x a year Minuim

2 check tire pressures 1x a month and check your chain adjustment/lube it more often if you ride alot or in dirty conditions.

3 change your brake fluid at least 1 x a year

4 check and adjust/lube all cables every wash if needed.

5 re grease all wheel bearings and piviot points 2x a year.

6 wax your bike at least 1 x a year( personaly I do it 4x a year)

7Once a week at least wash and get to know how everything looks right on your bike,doing this will get you familar with how everything is and is supposed to be.

8look at the brake pads and watch them wear,replace before they are 65-70% worn out

If you just bought a new bike do everything above mentioned before riding it.

From the factory or the last owner you have no idea if the greases is thier or not. Most certinaly from the factory the axels will have little or no grease on them.

Add any more if you think it's absoutly nessary for basic maintence.Some may think it's overkill BUT my bikes never break down from lack of maintence or attention from knowing something is worn down and in need of replacement!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

For me the 3000mile oil change is a bit ott if your using quality oil and not a track nut. You can safely double that in my exp.

For me a full strip and re assemble of the susp linkage once in autum then again in spring for me is a biggy. Not squirt some grease in. Actually pull it apart. It will make a huge difference to a year round bike. Even the dt.

Wash twice - once when you have just brought it and secondly when you are going to sell it.

Change the oil and filter twice a year or 6k miles.

Service it the same times as you change the oil. Only use oem oil filters.

Check often the bits that wear - brakes, bearings, tyres, chain & sprockets. How frequently is down to you so pick somewhere on the OCD to lazy spectrum and use that as a guide.

Don't grease anywhere it is dangerous - tyres and brakes do NOT need greasing. Nor do nylon coated cables as it makes them swell.

See the bike as something you should enjoy but are probably not going to keep forever.

Check/change the antifreeze and brake fluid every 2 years. Check the battery as frequently as you can be bothered to but don't be surprised if it is not checked and the bike fails to start.

Try and buy a bike off someone who is anal. You get more fun out of it when you abuse it.

Try to wear tyres out on both edges, not just the centre. They are expensive so get your money's worth out of them.

Spend any saved maintenance money on fuel. It is for riding not an object d'art - unless it is a Ducati 916.

Loads more wisdom's from the "house of the dirty dt" but I am at work so I need to go and save a few people before rushing off to get some tread on my quite worn tyres this pm.

Holy crap you guys are cheap .. A oil change costs less than 20 bucks and save's a engine from unnessary wear and will run many more miles with fresh blood.

Dirtydt didn't you have to cut the swing arm axel out of the 250 because it was never greased.How much grief would it have saved you if it had been done 2 -3 days of work?And buying all new parts. That 2 dolars of greas would have been cheaper

A tub of grease and a tube of brake slider lube,chain lube will cost less than 25 bucks and last years, maitence cost nothing if you do it yourself, buying cable lube will not swell your cables.And in the long run save you $$$ on replacing worn parts.

Spending a few more $$ on a sealed gell battery will save your bike from acid gases rotting your bike and never needs checking and they tend to last longer so the cost is about even. And if you happen to end up sideways on the road they don't leak.

Washing you bike is the easyiest way to save money dirt on top of dirt tends to find it's way into places it shouldn't be, salt eats your bike a clean chain will last 2x longer,and keeps the value of the bike up for resale.And for novice riders it's the best way they can learn what looks right and what dosen't.

Hell we wash r bikes between races 1 your bike weighs less 2 you can't service a dirty bike without getting dirt in placse it shouldn't be.

However I did forget to mention antifrezze and checking your spokes will edit that and air filters and valve adjust.

This wasn't for old farts like us who have been riding for years more for the new riders who don't know how to take care of the ride yet.

And women like a guy who dosen't look like a grease bag and you bike is going to reflect that. and for the ladies no guy wants a dirty girl unless were talking about sex. :yeah:

Maintaing your bike keeps you safer and it will last longer! Break downs happen but short of a flat tire most can be avoided with simple maitence.

Holy crap you guys are cheap .........

Thanks........................That's the best compiment I have had today.

Dirtydt didn't you have to cut the swing arm axel out of the 250 because it was never greased.How much grief would it have saved you if it had been done 2 -3 days of work?And buying all new parts. That 2 dolars of greas would have been cheaper

Very true and it cost £100 to replace just the swingarm bolt and bearings.

Washing you bike is the easyiest way to save money dirt on top of dirt tends to find it's way into places it shouldn't be, salt eats your bike

Possibly but I save a fortune on cleaning products. I would recommend S Doc 100 cleaner.

a clean chain will last 2x longer,and keeps the value of the bike up for resale..............

I agree. Always lube your chain with good quality chain lube.

.......And women like a guy who dosen't look like a grease bag........

Not sure about that. I change my underwear at least once a month whether they need it or not!

Maintaing your bike keeps you safer and it will last longer! Break downs happen but short of a flat tire most can be avoided with simple maitence.

I can't argue with that.

Cheap?!! check the specs first. I said quality oil in your money the stuff i used was costing close to 60 bucks a gallon.

I put 30000 pluss miles on a 600 suzuki using that oil and it needed nothing. In those 30k all she needed was 4 shims. No timing chain. Adjusters nowt. And i rode it hard. I made the qualifying time for the isle of man in 2001 on open roads.

Cheap is a relative word. I would not let my bike run on oil costing a tenner a go. Yuk. 2stroke is dearer in the uk.

Cynic 60 a gallon try 14 a liter. Who cares.. Thats not my point anyway most wont spend that kinda $$ per liter for oil anyway and should be changing it out, so by your saying it " can double that" is not right

And Dirty Dt remind me never to sit beside you If you can only change your underwear 1x a month.... Wait no need I don't think I will ever forget that......... ooo bad thoughts... musssttt kill ..ehhh dieing ..eeehhh thud.

Cynic 60 a gallon try 14 a liter. Who cares.. Thats not my point anyway most wont spend that kinda $$ per liter for oil anyway and should be changing it out, so by your saying it " can double that" is not right

And Dirty Dt remind me never to sit beside you If you can only change your underwear 1x a month.... Wait no need I don't think I will ever forget that......... ooo bad thoughts... musssttt kill ..ehhh dieing ..eeehhh thud.

60 a gallon is 14 a litre. I was refering to a us gallon. Rock synthesis4 weighs in at over well30 quid a pop for 4l.

Anything here worth using in the uk is over 20. Changing it out every 3k IS over the top unless your really pushing things.

As i said 30k with no detectable wear dropping the oil And filter at or before 6k.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online