Ignition Key

Grouch
This post is 4365 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My ignition key has suddenly started jumping out of the barrel whilst I am riding, I don't know what has happened and I nearly lost it, luckily it stayed on the dash area. Is it ball bearings that hold it in place when you put it in the ignition?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nope realy small springs. your ign may be so worn that the brass gates are worn out and any key will fit now.

Nope it is well and truly knackered. I'm selling the bike after Xmas anyway so if it's going to cost me a bomb I won't bother fixing it.

Spray some WD40

I totally agree Paul, but my preferance would be graphite grease (the powderery stuff)

What can I say? Apart from from what I've already said, they should have never got rid of horses, when they go wrong all you have got to do is shoot it and get another one.

Sorry Ttasky.

What can I say? Apart from from what I've already said, they should have never got rid of horses, when they go wrong all you have got to do is shoot it and get another one.

Sorry Ttasky.

Aye mike and they dont have ignition keys either eh :eusa_snooty:

Aye mike and they dont have ignition keys either eh :eusa_snooty:

And also what comes out their exhaust is good for the environment.(as in roses)

Just out of curiousity is it a big expensive job to fix? I would rather get it sorted if it's not a ballache or going to cost me a bomb.

Any decent locksmith should be able to install the new springs and worn gates for 20 bucks. If you remove it from the bike.

Is the key worn down,might be as simple as cutting a new key.If you have a spare key thats not all worn down try it and see if it fits tighter. Then have a key cut from it and tell the person cutting the new key that, yours is worn down to the point you can pull it out and to cut it not as deep. Most key cutting machines are the tracer type,they simply put your key in and copy it but they can adjust it.

I would be woried the the gates are stuck so that any key would turn the lock making your bike quite easy to steal.

Sorry Ttasky.

Hey, at least someone on here remembers me mentioning graphite grease, rather than using WD40 and ending up clogging the mechanism with crap! You a Locksporter, perchance?

However, horses cost a bomb to replace. Bikes at least can usually be fixed for a lot less!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online