Engine Oil

Grouch
This post is 4360 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Wtf happened there? What I meant to write was.....................

It just got me thinking after reading classified ads saying oil changed after every ride, or every four rides.

It's a racer thing ,lots of us change the oil after a race it's cheaper than changing parts.Its overkill but when your running the bike at 100% of what she's got it's hard on oil.

Rule of thumb of road use is every 3000 miles or 3 months,what ever comes first oil breaks down with daily heating and cooling and trap moisture in itself effectively thinning it. same with miles. think of oil as ball bearings that wear down in time.

On that note I better change it. I ride my bike daily and ride it hard as well, so it's long overdue I better start comparing oil types and brands now. I'm not going to put cheap crap in it.

Grouchy, compare oil in your bike as blood in your body, without it your bike/body will die so take good care of it. Spoil it even.

I'm not saying change it every 10 minutes but change it regulary.

I think I will start changing it every months, I've got a magnetic plug as well to put on it, it says it attracts all the microscopic metalic crap and keeps at the bottom near the plug.

Yep doing often is better,gives you a chance to see whats going on inside the motor without taking it apart.

Have a good look at the oil and filter for bits of metal and bronze bushing every time you change the oil if you start to see lots then something is going bad.

I use valvoline 10 w30 in cloder temps and 10-40 in hotter temps,the whole bs about not using car oil cause it will make your clutch slip is a old wives tale made up by someone to charge you more for a liter of oil.

Yep doing often is better,gives you a chance to see whats going on inside the motor without taking it apart.

Have a good look at the oil and filter for bits of metal and bronze bushing every time you change the oil if you start to see lots then something is going bad.

I use valvoline 10 w30 in cloder temps and 10-40 in hotter temps,the whole bs about not using car oil cause it will make your clutch slip is a old wives tale made up by someone to charge you more for a liter of oil.

I think you may have stirred up another hornets nest :eusa_think:

There are those who would advocate otherwise

Never more than twice a year for me.

Always use a good quality oil that is meant for bikes and an OEM filter (if you have one). I like Rock oil Guardian semi synthetic.

I disagree with dt502001 about car engine oil use. Just my opinion but I would not use it. I also disagree with using different grades for different seasons. Just the way it is.

I have just found out that I have to dismantle my engine to access the filter, also I think my bike has a strainer and not a conventional filter?

I have just found out that I have to dismantle my engine to access the filter, also I think my bike has a strainer and not a conventional filter?

Whaaaaaaaat????

dismantle my engine to access the filter I don't think so.

also I think my bike has a strainer and not a conventional filter? is it a bike or a kettle?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online