Fazer won't start

jamjar
This post is 4367 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

I've got a bit of a dilemma. I own a FZ6 S2 Fazer and it won't start. The bike is 2 years old and I ride it at weekends mosly dry. The symptoms are buzzing as I press the ignition switch and then the display resets itself. I have recently bought a charger as I was having problems before the buzzing. Fully charged (about 13.9 volts, amps 87/88) the bike starts. Anything less (about 13 volts, amps 87/88) and the buzzing starts etc, etc. I have taken the bike for a sevice and asked them to check the charging system as well and they said it was fine but the battery was weak. I have been on various sites trying to narrow down what could be the problem and they all sound the same. Someone I know suggested the starter/solenoid. I need to put this baby to bed as I can't keep bump starting her everytime I want to go for a ride. My bets are on the battery but I could be wrong. Please help :o)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

+1 for the battery plus I would clean up all of the terminals from the battery to the starter and both ends of the earths on the battery (earth terminal to wire and earth wire to frame).

After that I would check that your regulator isn't leaking current to the earth.

This assumes that the bike doesn't have a faulty alarm.

tell her what she needs to coat the terminals in Dirty, to stop em oxidizing, goo on i dare ya, infact double dare ya

If you have been charging you battery at 87 amp you have fried it The recomended rate is 1.5 amps for 5-10 hrs or fast charge 5 amp for 1 hr.

Not familar with that charger but Ok it won't over charge.

If the battery shows 13+ volts on a multi meter what does its drop to when trying to start the bike? If it crashes to 6 v then the battery is done ,,,,,if it stays at or about 12 v.I would clean every terminal from the battery to seloniod to starter and grounds.And for Nev coat with dielectric grease.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online