best type of rim tape?

atocp
This post is 4395 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys and girls,

I recently respoked my wheels (laced both and trued the rear myself...so chuffed to bits!!) and replaced the nipples as well. I bought some rim tape on ebay, the little rubber band kind, which cover the nipples. However, today I went to put the rear tyre on and found that after I was done, and pumped up, it deflated after an hour.

Now, this could have been a faulty inner tube (brand new) or I could have nipped it when I put the tyre back on (extremely likely) or it could have rubbed on the slightly rusty (although polished and smooth) inside of the rim.

Here's the question....The rim tape I bought only covers the nipples. What do people use as rim tape to cover the complete inside? I've heard duct tape - but is a mess to clean off. Electrical tape - moves after a while. Rubber band (like what i've got) but I can't find any wide stuff. So what do people use to cover the inside of the rim? Any preferences or special tips?

Any advice or suggestions are always welcome. As I've now got to wait for a new inner tube to be delivered :shakeno:

Hope everyone is well,

Cheers for any help,

atocp

p.s. once the wheel is on, I get to try to start the engine, buy a reg plate and ride off for an mot. That's all based on it starting tho. :hyper:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Only the nipple part should be covered. You may have pinched the tube but check the tube valve as some aren't tightened properly.

Thanks DirtyDT. I was thinking that if I cover the whole of the inside of the rim, I can eliminate the possibility that the uneven rim surface might be causing it. It's most likely that I have pinched it and it's burst. However, a pinched inner tube wouldn't be a small hole, like a slow puncture, so its a little strange how it lasted for an hour before coming down. Maybe it's just my delicate touch :smash: .

New tube is on its way anyways, along with new indicator lens. Didn't go for the mirrors, as although they are not part of the MOT, I seem to have 7mm threads on my bar, not the 8mm or 10mm that everyone sells. :eusa_think:

It may be worth taking the wheels to a local bike tyre fitter and dropping him a few quid. Never heard of 7mm mirror threads??

Yeah, if I c*ck up the wheel a 2nd time, Im going to take it to my old work. They are cycle repairs, but my friend there did the front wheel for me, and its good. He's also the one who trued it for me.

Couldn't find any mention of the 7mm anywhere, and the haynes manual doesn't mention the mirrors.

The 7mm stud's I bought when reassembling the cylinder head screw in perfectly. Might just have to go for 8 and force it a little, but I'll fire it through the MOT first.

Did you file down the ends of the spokes nice an smooth, if they stick too far through and are sharp,,even with the rim tape they will puncture the tube if you move the bike or even roll the tyre.

I've never herd of extra wide rim tape !

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online