TomTom ONE v2 with Itinerary Planning

Airhead
This post is 4394 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So having yet again gotten lost on the 2 stroke rideout I have been doing some research. I have been using a TomTom ONE v3 and this device invariably sends me down dual carriageways which is NOT good on the ageing DT175! However i 'think' the v2 has what's called itinerary planning whereby the user can specify exactly the route to take which is a big plus on specified rideout routes...it also has bluetooth so can be used with in ear speakers? am I right? can anyone shed any light on this?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

if im not misstooken paul, i think the bluetooth only links your mobile phone.

it does not speak directions through your headset.

I have a tomtom v4 or v5. No bluetooth and not that detail of planning. Are you sure it is just a V3 because they are quite old now?

mine's a v3 DirtyDT it has internal flash memory, no bluetooth and no Itinerary Planning... but I see the v2 has an SD card, Bluetooth and 'Itinerary Planning' which is a great feature, looks like the newer versions are a downgrade so they can sell TomTom Riders for more £££'s :eusa_snooty:

It might be possible with the v3 4 and 5 by using the PC and setting waypoints (via)? Don't know for sure but you could set a few via's to keep you off the roads you dont want to go down.

maybe but with itinerary you can select your route by dragging a route in something like google maps and then just name it and download it to a folder in your satnav...altogether easier in my book, the via thing i'm not so sure, how would you tell it via when you're in the middle of nowhere on lanes and small roads?

I think the via michelin web site does that. You can dump the details to the satnav via the PC. LINKY

Remember doing it for a journey to Central France once.

I think the via michelin web site does that. You can dump the details to the satnav via the PC. LINKY

Remember doing it for a journey to Central France once.

yeah i think it does, if you search for itinerary in the ebay gps section, along with the v2's via michelin also make an appearance

TomTom Rider v2 does great for this stuff, is designed for bikes, is waterproof, bluetooths instructions direct to your headset as well as doing the phone as well, plus includes everything you need in the one box.

Expect them to be cheaper now, as the v3 is on it's way, if not out already!

dont want to pay the price of a rider tasky especially when the ONE v2 will do it but much cheaper, if it pans out i'll be getting one off fleabay. Its the Itinerary feature I'm after most...I reckon they stopped it on the ONE v3 so they could sell more riders and make more money...clever eh

Here's a 'How to' from the TomTom Website. It states that the TomTom ONE 2nd Edition and XL both have Itinerary Planning (assuming your V2 is actually the 2nd Edition, and not a software version 2!)

http://uk.support.to...141,1399/c/2355

Click the second list of products containing 'ONE 2nd Edition'

Check here for the manual...search bluetooth, 2nd bottom of search results in Adobe reader.

atocp

For some reason, half the text I wrote disappeared. What I said was...

"As for bluetooth, the satnav 2nd edition has the ability to tether to your mobile phone using bluetooth for traffic updates over the phones data connection, however, can't appear to send navigation commands through the bluetooth to the headset. Check the manual search results for the info.

atocp

reckon they stopped it on the ONE v3 so they could sell more riders and make more money...clever eh

The ONEs are designed for cars. The Rider is designed for motorcycles.

Aside from having a car adapter that also lets you use your Rider in a cage, I fail to see how the two really relate.

Also, the ONEs seem designed to have purposely reduced software capabilities to keep the price down. Get what ye pay for, I guess.

'Avoid Part Of Route' is an option some units have - Once it's planned a route you view it in text form and then select which roads you don't want to travel down. It then plans a new route around that restriction.

The 'Roadblock' function kinda works the same, but only for the 1-2 miles immediately in front of you.

You have these on the ONE?

The ONEs are designed for cars. The Rider is designed for motorcycles.

Aside from having a car adapter that also lets you use your Rider in a cage, I fail to see how the two really relate.

Also, the ONEs seem designed to have purposely reduced software capabilities to keep the price down. Get what ye pay for, I guess.

'Avoid Part Of Route' is an option some units have - Once it's planned a route you view it in text form and then select which roads you don't want to travel down. It then plans a new route around that restriction.

The 'Roadblock' function kinda works the same, but only for the 1-2 miles immediately in front of you.

You have these on the ONE?

ttasky

of course i know what the ONE and Rider are primarily designed for...thanks for pointing it out though

you fail to see how the two relate eh?...try itinerary planning...thats what the thread is all about...thats my main interest in one, just like the Rider even the 'cheap' ONE v2 had itinerary and I reckon I could pick one up for £40 - £50 ish from ebay. You see the thing is...I dont want to pay lots of ££££'s for a feature I will seldom use...however actually having that feature would be great for events like the one mentioned post#1 so unless I see a Rider going for a great price probably stick with a ONE v2. But yeah i'll see what riders sell for too since they are a better unit with being waterproof and all that

I was kinda hoping someone would have chipped in that they have used itinerary planning but hey ho maybe not then!

...............I was kinda hoping someone would have chipped in that they have used itinerary planning but hey ho maybe not then!

Have you asked Kev :rolleyes:

I only reiterated the functional difference because bluetooth was mentioned.

I still don't see how removing a feature from something for a car should affect something NOT for a car. THAT is the relationship I meant.

You see the thing is...I dont want to pay lots of ££££'s for a feature I will seldom use...however actually having that feature would be great for events like the one mentioned post#1

Which is why I suggested the Rider - It has those features you'll seldom use, plus others actually intended for your chosen vehicle that you likely WILL use... many very often.

It's more money, yes, but you get more with it as well.

TomTom and Garmin both saw that bikers (myself included) were buying SatNavs and then spending loads of money on awkward setups involving waterproof luggage, bluetooths (blueteeth?) and headsets, modifications and all sorts, therefore identifying a market.

Obviously, to justify the expense, they had to make it worthwhile by packing in as many of the car models' features as possible, while adding extras to cope with bikers' unique needs. The results were a pair of pretty darn cool units and I've neither regretted the expense nor had any navigational issues, instead usually arriving well ahead of anyone else in my group.

You can probably find a reasonably priced Rider v2 on eBay or something.

The v1 will be even cheaper, but might lack certain features. The mount it comes with is crap but there are improved versions around.

Unless you're definitely going overseas, the UK only version is about half the price!

Just offering advice, though.

I was kinda hoping someone would have chipped in that they have used itinerary planning but hey ho maybe not then!

A few times.

Not really that useful, IMO. OK if you have a set route to stick to, but if you change your mind or reorganise it's a bit awkward and naff.

hi, paul.

i told you about the nav on my phone that brought me to squires , it's an app called SYGIC.

at the moment it's on a free trial. so if you have an android phone it's well worth a look at.

it can doo everything a satnav can do and more, .

once youir six weeks trial is up , if your impressed with it you can buy the package for life ,for only £20.

so go on , give it a go.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online