aerox 100cc battery drains when starting up with elec start and then wont start can any1 help

shawn1982
This post is 4264 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello every 1i am new to this site and may i say it seems really good,i have a yamaha aerox 100cc i brought it cheap as a non runner i got it working but now when i go to start it off elec start the battery drains to 3 volts so wont start but then if jumped off a car battery will start 1st time and once started will hold the volts at around 12v,anyone ever experienced this and can help cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi there i wrote on the new members page and i will not be goin anywhere so no worries there,i have fitted a new battery well this is the 2nd new battery and still doin the same thing so not the battery any other ideas,also is there any where i can find out where there is meets on cheers

strange problem, never had that with mine, i just use the kickstart even though my batteries fine.

i removed all the mechanics for the elctric start to fit the variator off the 100 on my 50 aha :)

believe it or not it increases the acceleration alot ;)

hope you find the problem soon though mate

okay, so you've removed the battery as a possibility in the equation...

that really only leaves the starter motor, if you leave your bike cranking over for 5 minutes then it is likely to cook your starter motor and drain your battery, anything more than 5-10 seconds on the starter should be plenty to start a week two-stroke, if it isnt starting on the peds battery but is starting if jumped from a car it could likely be that the starter is drawing too much current for the ped battery and not leaving enough power to spark to crank over, had this problem with my XJ600 once when it had a dodgey battery on it, used to bump-start it everywhere until i got a new battery but seeing as yours is variator driven you wont be able to do this,

make sure your battery is fully charged and put a voltmeter across the terminals before hitting the start button, within the first few seconds note the voltages, anything much below 9-10 suggests too high a current draw for the battery (knackered starter or shorting solenoid), not so much a problem on 12v batteries but that sort of problem on a 28v aircraft battery has enough energy to weld... keep that in mind when playing with wires

i tested the battery it was 11.5 before i tried starting it then as soon as i pressed the elec start button it went down to 2.6 and wouldnt even crank over, off the battery there is the posative wire which leads to a box then to the starter motor and when trying to start this clicks but not sure what it is.im so confused why this is draining and cant use my ped :-( not sure what else to try but thanks for your advise

11½ volts is a bit low - a nominal 12v battery should show just under 13 volts or thereabouts with no load (2.1v per cell?) 11½ is the voltage at full discharge for a 6 cell battery. A clicking solenoid (that's the wee box) is normally associated with low voltage, so that all seems to point in the same direction.

First point of call would be to get the battery fully charged up (Optimates and the like are OK, but you can't beat an old skool charger), then check over all the connections making sure they're bright & shiny and tightly put together. The usual suspect for big voltage drops is the main earth lead - a bit of corrosion on this connection will block all the electrical pixies from getting through, so it needs to be clean & tight.

One other thing .... you say once started the charge holds at about 12v? It should go up to about 14½V as the revs go up, if it ain't then your charging circuit is dodgy, probably the reg/rec - no charge, flat battery in double quick time....

ok brilliant i will charge the battery to full power and check the voltage now i know what it should be,i will also check the main earth not sure where it should be but guess it will be or should be a thick black wire to the frame will also check voltage for charging then if all this seems ok maybe will try new battery no.3 lol thanks you guys for the help will keep you posted

hi there just to let you all know you was right, i found out the 2 batterys the bike shop has sold me in the past,were 2small for bike so not powerfull enough as i got to use my friends battery off his aerox we noticed straight away that it was bigger and the bike started straight away so cheers for ya advise