telescoping handlebars?

This post is 4409 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Anybody know of a company that makes telescoping handlebars or knows a way to DIY? What I mean is the ability to adjust the length of the handlebars without having to swap in different bars. If you're wondering why, I like to use my dirt bike for both trails and tracks. Trail bikes tend to have shorter handlebars to make going between trees easier. My bike YZ125 is built for the track.

To do it myself I would think if I cut a section out of the center, between the clamps of course, and found a tube sightly larger than the diameter of the handlebars and long enough to fit between the clamps that ought to do it right? So the two separate handlebars would slide inside the tube. This tube would help to keep the forces on the handlebar displaced between both sides. Yes not as well as keeping it one piece but perhaps well enough?

I guess the other route would be to see if anyone makes clip-ons for dirt bikes.

So am I onto something or am I on something with this idea?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Safety over style.

You can get drop bars that fit onto yolk clamps LINKY.Not sure about setting up the cables etc.

I know there is a big cafe racer scene on your side of the Atlantic so they should be available there too.

not sure ace bars would cut it on a dirt bike, i see your plan and to be honest i can see this giving around 2 inches maximum adjustment with the worry that they could somehow come apart at the cut. How about just having some bar end devices made so that yoy can slide the grip and controls further out. Done well that would be safer in my book

Take a set of bars. Cut in half then using a piece of tube that the original fits inside.

Drill for locking pins and use twist clamps to tighten. Prob get 3 or 4 inches adjustment. How strong would be entirely down to your diy skills. As well as material quality.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online