First bike, 1980 dt175

This post is 4275 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone!

This is my first bike and so far i love it. But when i bought it the guy said he just mixes the gas. it has a separate oil tank but he says he has always mixed it. I think he mixes it to heavy on the oil because the exhaust has oil in it and lightly dripping out the end of the pipe. is this very bad? or do i just mix it lighter on the oil next time. Also it tends to die on me when im not giving it gas until it really really warms up. could this also be because of the oil?

I dont know much so please feel free to offer help and suggestions!

-Connor

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
:welcome: Connor. I take it the previous owner didn't say why he mixed the fuel and oil instead of using the oil pump. I would think it'd be better to use the pump since it adjusts the oil according to throttle... probably worth finding out if the pump is bad. I usually let my bike warm up for just a minute, but other folks here will have a better idea about that and the oil mix. This section's just for intros though so your technical questions may get overlooked.

:welcome: hi connrdt175,

i have an rd350lc , i disconected my perfectly good working oil pump as soon as i got the bike in favour of pre-mixing.

i don't trust oil pumps, as when they fail ,the first you know about it ,is when the engine siezes and your flying through the air at high speed (not good).

if you put the oil into the petrol/gas, you know it's in there.

yours will differ from mine ,but i put 350ml (a small pop bottle) too 10 ltr of fuel..

also use semi synthetic two stroke oil ,the best you can afford, i use silkolyn t2 comp for off road use , nothing else will do,not for me anyway.

Cleaning the pipe out and fresh packing will most likely be in order , it's prob pretty pluged up, a fresh spark plug never hurts in 2 strokes

Hi Connor,

If this is your first bike a great investment would be an owners manual, I'm sure there would have to be one available online. Tinkering with bikes can almost be as satisfying as riding. Is there oil in the oil tank? If not, mixing your fuel will be necessary. If you want to test your oil pump, put a little Yamalube or other high quality two-stroke mix in the oil tank and look for the oil feed line coming from your engine case to the carb. Pull the line off the carb and run your bike, oil should come out of that line when you roll the throttle. If you do this test with mixed fuel in the bike there will be no danger of damaging the engine internals. Nothing wrong with running mixed gas and not using the oil injection system, as stated above you always know you are getting the necessary lubrication. A manual will tell you how to adjust your oil pump to give the proper oil/fuel ratio.

Cheers, have fun!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would test the pump and if it works, use it. Good quality oil is a must for me. Castrol Power 1 racing 2T synthetic for me. Smells nice too.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would test the pump and if it works, use it. Good quality oil is a must for me. Castrol Power 1 racing 2T synthetic for me. Smells nice too.

Thats what i've been using :thumb:

But theres lots of other good stuff out there too

Kevs arse is somethibg to stay well ckear of.

The pump is always the best option. Cleaner more accurate and very reliable. They normally work fine and are accused of failing because someone has messed with it.

Don't forget you only have lube under power and only the right amount under full power.

With the pump when at low throttle you use little oil. Keeps the plugs clean.

I can see no upside of not using it. Dirty HAS to use his as the RH crank bearing has positive lubrication (i think?Numan?)

......................I can see no upside of not using it. Dirty HAS to use his as the RH crank bearing has positive lubrication (i think?Numan?)

Tis the left hand bearing. lubed by the pump and the bearing has an oil slinger on it which throws the 2 stroke oil along a hole in the crankshaft onto the big end bearing. Apparently there is a mod to change this if required. Not an issue on the DT but I would still go the pump route.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online