Touble getting into neutral on my SR125

m3stone88
This post is 4419 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a common problem but it is a real pain getting my SR125 to go into netral. I normally end up jumping from 1st to 2nd and back four or five times before it goes and sometime I have to walk the bike and play play around with the clutch before it goes in.

I don't have any problems changing into any other gears, just neutral... strange!

Any ideas would be brilliant.

Thanks,

Michael

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1 Is clutch adjusted correctly ?

2 have you got the correct oil in the engine?

3 try blipping the throttle just before you atempt to select neutral

Have you overfilled the oil?

Would have to agree - do a complete oil change, inc. Filter, ensure you have motorbike oil, not standard engine oil and remember when you drain the crankcase and change the filter you need 1.3l of oil, no more.

Failing that, check friction plates maybe?

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. I did a complete oil change about 6 months ago but I did use the Wilkinsons car oil rather than actual motorbike oil. I have to buy oil for my 250 restoration so I may as well do both at the same time. I'm fairly sure I used the right amount of oil but can't tell as my viewing window is full of crap so I can't see anything.

I'll have a look at the clutch as well. I have quite a bit of slack on the clutch as I have small hands so reach can be any issue, i've read elsewhere that having slack is a preference things, could that be a problem?

Thanks, Michael.

Cant see it being slack - youre completely right, its a preference thing - yamaha says you should have 5mm of free play on the clutch handle, but I dont like any free play if I can help it. So as long as the clutch can fully engage, slack is not an issue. If youve put car engine oil in it, I would personally drain entire system, change oil filter, leave it open for an hour or two and hopefully dry it out A LITTLE... then 1.0-1.1l of motorbike oil if you DONT change filter, 1.3 if you DO. What you have to remember is in a car, engine oil serves just that one purpose, the engine. In a motorbike crank case, it serves the engine, the clutch and gearbox, and tends to stay thicker than car oil, therefore also maintaining friction in the transmission. I would hazard a guess that your transmission is fine, but it also depends how long you have been using car oil as it can cause damage to your gears if used for a while :-S.

Cars have a dry clutch, motorcycles have a wet clutch - ie, the clutch plates are immersed in oil.

THIS is why we use bike oil for bikes and car oil for cars.

You wouldn't use nail polish to polish your bike, so why use car oil for a motorcycle?

Get some nice Silkolene 10-W-40 and give that bike some love!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I bought some Castrol Power 1 4T 10W40, hopefully this will do the trick and it was only £7.70 for a litre delivered :D

I'll let you all know the results!

Thanks, Michael

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online