FZR1000 exup oil sight glass

wearethefire61
This post is 4350 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Having bought a 1991 exup, I'm having trouble seeing the oil level in the sight glass. All I can see is a "U" shape - the rest is dark or obscured. I've changed the oil and filter and it took about 2.5L to get the oil towards the top of this "U" shape by adding a bit at a time. Not sure if this is correct. I found this picture which looks exactly the same as mine. Can anyone offer some advice please?

Andy

img0518v.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So you can see the oil. Look at the left hand picture you posted. Aren't the higher and lower oil levels the same as the 2 marks to the right of the glass?

ah just leave the oil fill cap off it will settle flat .. that said you need to look at the PCV might be pluged up given the age of the bike if yours looks like that then your not getting a reverse vent. to equil the pressure. And a good flush is in order

The data I have says FZR1000 1989-1995 oil change only qty 2.7 litres and with filter change 3.0 litres so you may have to add a bit. Remember to run the bike to circulate the oil and to fill up the filter housing and when checking the level the bike should be on level ground with the bike upright NOT on the sidestand. As DirtyDT has said I think you will find the Max level is indicated by the upper line to the right of the sightglass and the minimum mark is the bottom of the "U". So providing you can see oil in the sightglass and it's not above the Max line with the bike upright you should be fine.

Tony