Lower Speed Limits on Rural Roads

PeterC
This post is 4450 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Peter, With the way they are cutting police numbers it really will not matter, I travel down the M4 M3 and M27 on a fairly regular basis and have yet to see a cop car at all, so if it goes from 60 to 40mph on rural roads there won't be anyone to notice if you perhaps go a LITTLE faster. Having said that if it saves just one life it's probably a good thing for the person who does not die? Although most of those who do crash their motor on these roads are probably those who have no idea how to control their car in the first place and truth be told are little batter than a gold fish when it comes to brain cell numbers. :jossun::biglaugha:

More political bull. The figure that show 49% of deaths will also tell you nearly all of those were people exceeding said limits anyway.

Its statistic specific argument and more proof of just how useless the politicians are these days. Another Guy Fawkes wouldn't be a bad thing.

All the waring claptrap round the world, economic melt down etc and they are nobbing off about rural speed limits, roads, some of which i'll bet havent seen a plod car ever. With the reducing number of plods even less likely too to boot.

Can you imagine the A5 being 40mph. It would be a death trap.

Rural roads. Now lets see.......................

Head on collision speeds at 120mph. Assuming both vehicles are doing 60 MPH so that is not good.

Not a lot of run off at times. A giant oak tree or dry stone wall are not the best things to hit.

But really.........

You would struggle with the "golden hour" where you really need to get to A&E. If you end up in a ditch there is a good chance that nobody will find you for a while so your chances of surviving are reduced. Even if someone sees you, by the time they called 999 (assuming you have a phone signal) and an ambulance comes you may have been laying there for a long while.

I would like to see a map the accidents in relation to the nearest A&E hospital.

Sometimes there is just nothing that can be done. That's life (sic).

Having just walked the dog down the only roads available to us (no footpaths) and seen a fair few cars blazing round blind bends where we needed to go, I understand what they mean.

But speed is just a factor in this, not the cause. Most such crashes, collisions, deaths etc occur because people are either driving too fast for the conditions* or just don't handle the vehicle properly - cutting teh apex, driving on wrong side of road, hitting obstructions or just not paying attention. We get a fair few crashes on our road every year and it's always always always during afternoon rush-hour.

There are already too many people and too many vehicles around. I'd like seeing a cull in the moron populace.

*This can mean any speed - Seen incidents occur at 20mph in a 60, because people were going too fast for what was ahead of them. Yet they weren't 'speeding'.