Changing a clutch cable,

JoshuaJc
This post is 4452 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, the other day i were riding and went to change down a gear when my clutch cable gave in, luckily i wasnt too far from home so managed to get it home safe and the new part i ordered as just arrived but i havent the faintest of idea on how to fit it and me and my dad who usually helps me arent speaking at the minute (N)

any help would be awesome and thank you in advance,

Joshua C

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Believe me the best advice i can give here is sort it with your old man. Been there. Don't let it fester.

Never had to do one, myself.

All I'd do is have a GOOD look at how it is fitted, where it runs and then have a bash at replacing it myself.

Do one end at a time (probably start at the engine end), run the new one up as you pull the old one out, following the same route (you may have to remove some panels or summat), then fix it to the lever end as you take the old one off.

- You'll probably have to slacken off all the adjusters to make the job easier.

- Try and get the Owners Manual and the Service Manual - Most bikes' manuals are available as free-download PDFs if you look hard enough.

- As you go, take photos on your phone or something, so you know how it came apart and should look when properly assembled.

- Make sure you take the opportunity to lubricate moving parts, including the new cable itself. Not keeping cables lubed often makes them fail.

Believe me the best advice i can give here is sort it with your old man. Been there. Don't let it fester.

I agree!

The same thing happened to me about a month ago. I was totally useless at the mechanical aspect of my bike, but it took me about 5 minutes if that to fit a new one.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

As the 2 posts above. Just check the routing of the old cable. Remember the rough position of the adjusters in both ends take out the old one. Feed through the new one using the same route. Adust both ends to where they were and try it. Make any finer adjustments until it feels right and you are done. It is a 5 minute job when you have done a few and know the bike but allow an hour for it.

I am a few miles away in Loughborough if you really get stuck.

Make peace with your Dad! Life is too short.

if your not speaking, get your dad to write it down instead!!

seriously its not OCC and life's too short!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online