D.I.Y. Nightmare (Brake calliper)

Grouch
This post is 4461 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yesterday my new set of brake pads came from eBay. So my friend who is a competent mechanic started to put them on. Everything went fine until we put the calliper back on and the piston in the calliper stopped working. I think it is seized because the pads were down to the metal. Completely my fault because I didn't realise. It has seized, I'm hoping it will free its self after a few days. Do you think it will?

Also my new tyre came which cost me £80 (Pirelli Sport Demon). I went to the tyre place and he said I had to take the wheel off myself, so I did. It said on the tyre and in the Haynes manual that my tyre was tubeless, so I stabbed the hell out of it to get it off the rim. Turns out it had a tube in it!!! FFS! So the guy said he will have to order one and told me to come back today at 10am. I went there at 11:30am and then he said come back in an hour. I went back in an hour to be told it will be a few hours now.

It seems every garage is out to fuck you about and have you over.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You must of pushed the pistons back to get the pads to fit over the disks. Are you saying that the piston is not moving now? Has it been bled properly? The pneumatic pressure from the hydraulics should move a piston quite easily if the piston has already moved to accommodate new pads.

For tyres, my rule of thumb is

Spokes = Tube

Cast = tubeless

Not 100% accurate but very close.

Some tubeless tyres can be used with a tube but normally tubeless tyres are quite rough inside and will burst a tube.

Yes DT the pistons moved back to enable the new pads to be fitted, but one side has seized. I think it's because the pad was down to the metal so the piston was pushing out more than it should. I'm going to leave it a few days and see if it frees itself. If not I'll have to get a new calliper.

The new tyre is on and straight away I noticed the difference. It is a lot better, the feel of it. It feels safer. It was worth paying the extra for a better quality tyre.

There looks like there is a brand new caliper on evilbay right now for £30. LINKY

Thanks DT , I've seen it. There's two, one with pads and one without pads. The one with pads is a bit cheaper but it ended earlier. I'm waiting for it to be re listed. I already have a brand new set of pads, so I might as well save myself a bit of money. It's just cost me £120 to have the tyre fitted.

If you take the caliper off the bike and can pump the piston back out without the pads on far enough to be able to clean off the old brake dust it will freeup.You will have to clamp the other calpier to stop it from moving so all availble pressure can force out the seized one

You should always pump the piston out and clean off the old dust before you push them back in.

Tube vs tubless if the valve stem is bolted in 99.9% tube if it just a push in rubber stem 100% tubeless.A set of tyre irons cost 20 bucks and with some practice its a pretty easy job. TIP always start at the valve stem taking it off and finnish at the stem when installing,this way you can push the tube in out of the way from getting punchered by the irons

Over here it cost 20 bucks just to get a tyre changed and not much diff about how fast they will do it,so I do all my own for the last 25years and my buddys now, more that paid for the irons now.

Make sure the one you buy has the pistons in.

I always pump out the pistons to change the seals and clean if I am having similar problem. If there are 2 pistons, the easiest way to do it is pump the lever and one piston normally moves more than the other. I clamp that one and get the other close to coming out and then clamp that and pump the other. As soon as one piston is out it is a bugger to get the remaining one out if you don't do it that way.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online