1993 TDR starting woes

Grizzle
This post is 4471 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As the title shows, I'm having problems getting the thing to start.

I switch the ignition on and I hear what I assume is the power valve self-checking.

I then try the electric start only to get a single click from the starter solenoid. (starter is brand new, thought this would sort the issues)

The battery is new and putting out a good charge.

It does have fuel.

The plug is new and clean

Even trying to kick-start it won't fire it up. It has compression but won't catch.

I've tried to put the bike in gear, rock it back and forward a little to see if that helps the starter but no luck.

If anyone can give me a few more things to try I'd really appreciate it.

(If you are local and can spare some time to have a look at it yourself I can supply tea, coffee and bacon butties)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The clicking sound, could be that the starter relay is buggered, also are you getting a spark? check by taking plug out and earthing it on the engine, whilst kicking it over, if you're getting a spark and theres petrol getting to the plug, try bump starting it,

(If you are local and can spare some time to have a look at it yourself I can supply tea, coffee and bacon butties)

Local to where. I love bacon butties!

Right, got it started.

Only starts with the manual choke set on full though, turn this off and the engine revs it's nuts off.

So I guess i need to adjust the idle screw but I'm not 100% which one it is.

The big one in the middle or the little one on the left?

It's a PHBH28 VS. I would upload a picture but can't for some reason.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online