CDI Units

jimmy
This post is 4365 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Having joined the forum whilst trying to glean some info on running issues with my boys sr125, I have obviously read through a lot of postings. It turned out it was a problem with the cdi unit on my boys bike and a helluva lot of posts seem to involve faulty units.

So, are these units better than points ignition (for the younger forumeers, points were an archaic form of achieving the spark at the correct time), or are they now showing to present their own problems. Bearing in mind a new set of points was about 2 quid and I have paid £40 on 2 occasions for a 20 year old cdi unit for his bike. Any thoughts

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

BH

Thanks, I have been in touch with him, unfortunately the sr cdi is encapsulated in resin so cant be fixed. The boys bike is now running very well and he has a smile back on his face. I started this thread cos I have noticed a high number of posts that seem to involve dodgy CDIs

jimmy

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure my CDI is bust too. Runs fine cold, as soon as it is hot it cuts out when pulling to a stop, or idling at traffic lights. Let me know if you find a cheap way of doing it. As i would rather not bargin £40 for it to go bust soon.

Pretty sure my CDI is bust too. Runs fine cold, as soon as it is hot it cuts out when pulling to a stop, or idling at traffic lights. Let me know if you find a cheap way of doing it. As i would rather not bargin £40 for it to go bust soon.

have you tried cleaning out your air filter?

Pretty sure my CDI is bust too. Runs fine cold, as soon as it is hot it cuts out when pulling to a stop,

Aye tomas " check the choke plunger is fully closed, if not seated ,this is classic symptoms,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online