RD400 D Problems

spanielsam
This post is 4494 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi , I am new to this forum as I have just re entered the Yamaha ownership after an absense of 30 years.

I wonder if any body has got any ideas to help me?

I have just bought a RD400 D which needed "light Restoration"

before doing too much to it I want to get it going but am having problems.

I have cleaned the points and got the plugs sparking so I think the electrics are OK

I have stripped down the carbs and cleaned them and they didn't seem too bad .

I have just re mounted the carbs without air box etc and got a make shift set up to get petrol to the float bowls but can't get a flicker of life out of the thing.

The engines has done 40,000 miles but seems to turnover OK with reasonable compression

I am stumped - any ideas what to do next ?

Also there seem to be more places on the carbs to put pipes on than I have pipes - Any idea where I can get a layout of the tubing to and from the carb

I am awaiting delivery of a Haynes manual

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

SpanielSam

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sam

welcome to the forum from another RD400d owner, there could be a mulititude if reasons for this , as you have a spark i assume you have a good battery fully charged, did you get the emulsions tubes out that the main jets screw into? etc etc

but i will say one thing for more knowledge of RD,s than you can shake a stick at go to http://www.aircooledrdclub.org.uk/ sign up join the club ofr real to get discounts and access to the members section for the classifieds , and if you are at a loose end on this weekend go along

RD12Rallyadvert.jpg

HI , THanks for your replies , I stripped everything I could see out of the carb and washed in petrol and carb cleaner, but the plugs don't seem to be getting wet when the engine is repeatedly kicked over.

Does not having the air box / filter etc on make a big difference ?

I am in south Leicestershire

possibly blocked pilot jets, a common culprit...can you see daylight through them...with a magnifling glass?

oh and theres a tiny orifice at the bottom of the choke passageway...in the bottom of the bowl ...the carb with the choke knob?....just a guess

as mervin said there is loads of experience and expertise in the aircooledrdclub

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online