YBR125 Neutral Problem

planetbarton
This post is 4025 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I have a YBR125 purchased brand new from my local Yamaha dealer in July 2011. I have had a recurring problem with the bike since then and I could do with some advice.

The bike appears to have a problem with Neutral, this being:

• Being in Gear even though the Neutral indicator is on;
  • Being in Neutral even if the Neutral indicator is not on;
  • When coming down the gears to stop, the bike goes into Neutral and will not go down to 1st Gear;
  • Goes into Neutral when going from 1st to 2nd Gear.

I have taken the bike back to my local dealer a couple of times as the bike is still under warranty. Each time they have made an adjustment which seems to fix it for a 100 miles or so.

The problem is happening again so I have contacted the dealer and they have gave me a date next weekend to look at it - again. Whilst the guys at the dealers are helpful they don't seem to share my concern that this is a fairly fundamental flaw for a brand new bike.

Can anyone give me some advice on:

• Whether this is a comon fault with the Yamaha YBR125;
  • How best to make the Yamaha dealer see this is not really acceptable.

Further info: I am a new rider, this problem has made me reluctant to use the bike and as a result I have only done 800 miles on the bike.

Thanks

Alan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Some bikes are more prone to false neutrals than others. I can't comment on if YBR's. Assuming you got 12 Months warranty with the bike, I would be worried that the warranty is about to expire.

Have you asked the dealer what they do each time in goes in? Sometimes something simple like chain adjustment helps. As does gently rock the bike to engage first (at traffic lights for example). You may want to consider contacting Yamaha Customer Services direct.

Don't let this put you off biking.

Cheers DirtyDT

I have just emailed Customer Services at Yamaha.

Thanks for the advice on "rocking the bike" - can I ask, does this mean rock it back and forth?

I will also make sure to ask the dealer what they do each time so I will know for future reference.

I have got to admit, this experience has soured my riding experience a little, but I am going to stick with it as I love the freedom and the buzz it gives me. Although I am not entirely sure I will stay a Yamaha customer as I move on to bigger bikes given my experience so far.

Would be interested to know from other forum members whether false neutrals are common amongst YBR125's, and if so is there a common fix?

Thanks

Alan

..............Thanks for the advice on "rocking the bike" - can I ask, does this mean rock it back and forth?

Yep. When stationary lightly try and put the bike into first and at the same time, using your foot on the floor, move the bike a few inches back and forth.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I've had my YBR125 (also new) for just over a week now, first bike, first week on the road.

I've experienced that same sort of thing, although I've been told never to rely on the neutral indicator on any bike especially on the 125's. However more worryingly I've pulled away from lights twice now and gone for 2nd and found myself in neutral?!

Also trying to go into neutral on purpose is difficult enough (easier from 2nd than from 1st).

I think it might be us but if you manage to improve the situation (either mechanically or with practise) please post your findings. I have found that sometimes my foot gets sloppy and starts using the very end of the gear selector rather than close to the engine, this makes changing very difficult. I guess there is some flex in the changer?!

Seems we are not alone though :)

• Like 1

Also have a YBR 125 and found for the first 650 miles a '1st to neutral' was fairly frequent. Now at 750miles (and after the first oil change) it is better but yes still get the problem occasionally.

According to the dealer there is no real solution but happy to hear if anyone has any info to the contrary.

Some times when im keen to get off the line and i snatch 2nd my 650 Draggy hits neutral but im quick to pull in the clutch and snap 2nd then with out using the clutch i go up the box.

My advise to you all is, get quicker at getting from neutral to 2nd. look at adjusting your gear lever so that it takes less effort to get into 2nd as it seams like you are not lifting your foot up high enough to engage 2nd, so adjust the lever down. also when your going down the box as your coming to a stop just keep bopping your foot on the lever till you feel the last clunk then your know your in first and if say the traffic lights go from red to green and you have just gone into first and are still rolling you can then just snap up to 2nd.

Dont be soft about it either, those levers only snap when the bikes sliding down the road on its side so you being brutal with it aint gunna hurt it. ;)

I agree, get the bike running at the right speed for the gear your trying to go into,,,,, then dont be fucking about and slap the little basterd into gear.

It should get better with more miles you put up, as the gearbox selector will bed in and free up.

• 10 months later...

all ybr 125 have a problem with the neutral, when i first got it the clutch where hard and sometimes will slip out of gear. i had a mechanic to take a look. he adjusted in just a few second. he told he that the problem was the clutch cable. in your case. your clutch cable might be too loose.

however very often the gears do slip like when i go fromt 1 to 2...but this happen only when i had little acceleration or suddenly brake while changing gear.

try to adjust your clutch cable and give some feedback about it