Haggling with a Yamaha dealer (including insurance) for a new bike?

Cylindric
This post is 4328 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm going to get myself a spanking-new YBR 125 in the next few days, with a view to getting my CBT next week.

A chap at work (who I don't know well enough to just trust out-of-hand) suggests it should be feasible to haggle for the Yamaha dealer to include insurance with a purchase of a new bike.

Is that likely, or am I wasting my (and the dealer's) time even suggesting it? Is it a "done" thing?

Also, is there flexibility on pricing for new lower-end bikes? I've only ever bought cars, and those 2nd-hand, so price has always been negotiable. This will be my first new vehicle ever :)

Thanks,

Cyl.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would ask for everything i could.

Sometimes there is dealers which have a deal on new bikes with insurance.

Yep, haggle away, its your money,,,,,if he doesnt boudge on the price try an get free things thrown in,,,,,,like chain an lock,,,,,full tank of fuel,,,,,bike cover,,,,,,ect ect ect.

Hagle but remember that if it is a YBR you want, you are going to be limited to what a dealer wants to offer. If there is more than one dealer near you, go to all of them to see who offers the best deal.

HI Cyl, Some do offer insurance with new bikes but it's not always the cheapest deal, get a quote BEFORE you go and see what they can offer, if all else fails then try for a few freebees, helmet/gloves/boots/jacket anything you can swing out of it will be a bonus, so go in with the idea that your NOT going to buy unless there is a sweetener and make it plain that there are other dealers out there and see what he says, the worst that can happen is you end up with just a bike and that's what you went for anyway. :jossun:

Thanks for the tips. As always when haggling, I think I had my "oh my god I want this now and I'm not walking out without it" face, so failed miserably at the hard-buy, but still got £50 off accessories in the shop.

Does mean I'm now the proud owner of a shiny new Yamaha YBR 150 :)

Will take delivery in a couple of weeks, which should work out perfectly as I can't ride it until Thursday, and then I'm away for a long weekend anyway. Can't wait!

Now it's time to work out where I'm going to park the damned thing, as I don't have a garage.

• 2 weeks later...

Now it's time to work out where I'm going to park the damned thing, as I don't have a garage.

well done my man - buy a decent lock or chain and atach it to something solid - and a cheap waterproof cover to keep those prying eyes away - make sure you have fully comprehensive insurance cover

I found a home for it. I found a parking bay at the back of the flat big enough for 1.5 cars, and the big Range Rover that parks there turns out to be owned by a decent person (I know! Who knew?) and she was quite happy to park to one side, leaving plenty of room for my bike.

To one edge of the bay is forest, so I sneakily dug out a small hole and sunk a concrete lump in there with an achor point in it. Job done, and once some of the soil is moved around, the only sign of disturbance is the blue hoop sticking out of the ground.