Excessive engine sizes

Grouch
This post is 4494 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've been thinking once I get my full licence would I really need a 1200cc bike? Some of the two stroke 125's are capable of 100m.p.h. I imagine if I got a 500cc or 600cc it would be powerful and fast enough for my needs. What is the difference if any for example a 600cc and a 1000cc. I know the sizes are bigger but is it really noticable and can you feel a lot of difference?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The difference between 600cc and 1000cc is 400cc. That's the easy part.

Style of bike matters as much as cc's. A 600 sports bike should out perform a 1200 cruser for the most part. Something like cynics TDR 250 is a rocket. Will your licence be limited? What style would you want? 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Narrow the field before you think of cc,s.

Yes jordan, the 1000cc + bikes will pull top gear from 30mph, wheres the 600cc needs to be revved hard out of the corners etc,,

600= top speeds 145-160ish 1200= 150-180 mph, these are sport-tourer type, cruisers are much slower, :bs:

Depends if you want to go travelling, the bigger engine of a 1200 would be better, less strain etc.

Most people tend to have big bikes purely because they can, i cant imagine many if any people riding an r1 to its potential on the road..

So it's a bit like the human brain, theres loads of power but only a certain percentage gets used lol. I think a 600cc would suit me. It would be cheaper on the insurance as well. I rarely get my 125 over 40 so it would be a waste having a very powerful superbike. I say this now but I suppose once I've had a bigger bike for a while I will want an even bigger one.

It's not just the size that matters (as I keep telling the wife), but the configuration and tuning.

F'rinstance, my lad has a 600 Bandit, puts out about 78 bhp according to the specs, but all that power is up above 6000 rpm - below that it's not exactly gutless but tree stumps aren't too worried about the pulling power. My wee H*nda is a 650 v-twin, only puts out about 50-55 bhp, redlines at 8,000 rpm but will pull strongly from not much above tickover so getting away from the lights and general riding is much more relaxed.

Don't get me wrong, riding the Suzook is a hoot, wringing the wee bast*rd's neck for every bhp puts a big ol' grin on the face, but day in, day out I prefer the H*nda as you can just let it pull and enjoy the ride. Or am I just getting to be a boring old fart?

I much prefer the V configuration. Fell in love with it on my VF500 and the pull and engine braking on the SV is superb for a non sports bike. Pity they didn't make the MT-03 a V twin.