Looking for a 6 7/8 ish headlight

DirtyDT
This post is 4334 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Does anyone know any Yams that would have a 6 7/8 or 7" headlight - trails type - same distance between the ears?

I am looking for something that looks like a DT complete unit if they are 7 inches for the Suzi. UK spec or at least MOT'able, 6 volts with a pilot light.

I am not asking for a shed raid, just something that I can get as a pattern part. There is some stuff on evilbay, but nothing grabs me.

Thanking you all very much.

• 5 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I wanted to resurrect this thread as I need to forward plan buying a headlight for the TS and am after some advice/info on any Yami stuff that may fit.

What I need is a 7 inch UK spec or at least MOT'able, 6 volts 35/35(ish) headlight with a pilot light. I am keeping away from anything with a H4 bulb due to the difference in wattage and the possibility of burning out the switchgear or wiring. The only TS (or equivalent) ones I can find are either knackered or US spec sealed beams.

My latest thoughts, should all fail, is to get a DT/XT complete repro unit like this LINKY. I know these are a little smaller but I can always pack out the difference with either some plastic or metal rod spacers. I drew a quick mockup in CAD earlier - without the spacers shown - like this:

headlightfitting.jpg

Has anyone any opinions on this please?

So you need the entire headlight assembly ("bucket" and all) for a Suzuki and it's 6 7/8 or 7" and it's similar to the DT setup? I've recently repossessed (from my dad) what I think is a 1976 DT175C (but that's another thread I'm sure). I can measure the headlight assembly, but are you saying you already know that the DT one is not the right size? Am I just confused? :icon_confused:

Hi Sacha.

Sorry for the confusion.

"....entire headlight assembly ("bucket" and all) for a Suzuki and it's 6 7/8 or 7" and it's similar to the DT setup....." - yep.

I think the MX and XT500 ('77 to '81) headlights are 5 1/2 inches. I probably have one in my shed somewhere with lots of other DT parts. I don't know about the various RD 6 volt headlight sizes except I think some of them were 8".

I think that I will set up as per my drawing with an MX complete pattern part just to get it roadworthy.

...Sorry for the confusion...

No need... I'm easily confused. :)

...I probably have one in my shed somewhere with lots of other DT parts...

I thought so... I mean with a name like DirtyDT. :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online