XVS 950 Wiring of spot lights

AndyBuk
This post is 4373 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I tried wiring up my spot lights using a wiring harness last night.

I connected the relevant wires to:

A) Relay Harness Negative wire to Negative battery terminal.

B) Fused positive wire from relay harness to the Positive battery terminal.

C) Relevant wires from relay harness to the spot lights.

D) Positive Switch Wire to a positive connection that is only on when the ignition is on.

The problem is, when I flip the switch the fuse (15A) just blows.

When I wire the spot lights directly to the battery then they work (although this would of course mean that they could never be turned off thus killing the battery).

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I've done wrong?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check the way you have wired the relay. The relay is just an automatic switch. 2 circuits. The bike live wire in and out and the higher powered cables to the lights in and out positive only, normally.

The spot lights each have 2 connections, so positive and negative to each, that part I understand.

The relay is all part of the harness, but I will check the instructions again. I'm pretty sure I had done what it says as it seemed very clear, 1 wire to positive and 3 to negative.

WIRING CONNECTIONS

FROM PLUG:

• White wire with in line fuse and ring terminal to 12 volt power (battery +)

• Black wires with ring terminal to ground (battery –)

• Group of four wires (encased in plastic wire loom), route to driving lights — one white and

one black to each light.

FROM SWITCH:

• Single red wire to source of switched 12 volt power (on with ignition switch)

But perhaps I missed something so I will check again tonight.

The harness is: Kuryakyn Universal Wiring and Relay Kit

That can't be right.

Blacks are -ve, white are +ve but you can't have a switch with one red wire on it!

I have pulled up the instructions.

red - feed from switched power

all whites are +ve

All blacks are -ve

Checkout this: http://www.1300tourer.com/node/2345 step by step instructions for wiring lamps to the 1300 showing how to tap in to the lighting circuit.

Hope it helps

red - feed from switched power

I assume that means connect the red wire from the switch to a +ive that is only live when the ignition is on? I am pretty sure that this is exactly what I had tried.

Checkout this: http://www.1300tourer.com/node/2345 step by step instructions for wiring lamps to the 1300 showing how to tap in to the lighting circuit.

Yikes this seems like a lot of effort for what I need. Do you think I need to make use of the lighting circuit or should any +ive that is live only when the ignition is on should work?

Thanks again guys.

"I assume that means connect the red wire from the switch to a +ive that is only live when the ignition is on? I am pretty sure that this is exactly what I had tried."

Thats how I read the instructions. You should have a perm +ve to the battery, a perm -ve to the battery and then the red to the +,

Try wiring up the perm + & - and the lights. temporary connect the red to the +ve of the battery to see if it works.

I'm baffled now...

Wired up as per instructions and the following happens:

Power in and out of switch regardless of it being in the on or off position.

Power goes from +ive battery to fuse and in to relay, but no power seems to be coming out of the relay.

Connecting the lights directly to the battery and they work.

Can you blow a relay?

Does the fact that the switch always appears to have power (when the ignition is on) a concern?

Wired it all up as per instructions and another fuse blown, not sure if this is going to work :madflame:

• 2 weeks later...

Finally figured out the problem and for once it wasn't my inability to follow instructions...

The spot lights have 2 wires coming out of them, 1 with a spade connector and the other a bullet. Now logic would suggest, if the spade connection is the negative and the bullet was the positive on the right hand light.... then you would assume this would be the same set up on the left hand light, right?????? or am I just being stupid.

Anyway, for some random reason (after only working with the left side of the bike), I thought, lets just try wiring up the right hand light to see what happens... and of course it worked. A few moments of head scratching and puzzlement I thought, just for sh1ts and giggles I will swap the wires over on the left hand light.... and of course it worked.

After cursing the wiring of the lights, I thought it best to stop work and plan the install fully, from making some kind of waterproof switch to having adequate wiring.

So today I will stop off at Maplin and get some expensive parts.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online