Gutted!

Grouch
This post is 4433 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I live in a big old house which has been converted into three flats. I have been keeping my bike in the hallway but I asked my neighbours beforehand and they were fully understanding and had no problems at all with it. I've got home today and I've got a letter from the landlord wanting to speak to me about it, I know it's a fire hazard etc.

I'm gutted now I'm going to have to keep it outside chained to a metal fence. It's going to be a sought after target for bike thieves.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

At the very least buy a cover for it. Get one with chain loops in so it is held in place.

I live in a big old house which has been converted into three flats. I have been keeping my bike in the hallway but I asked my neighbours beforehand and they were fully understanding and had no problems at all with it. I've got home today and I've got a letter from the landlord wanting to speak to me about it, I know it's a fire hazard etc.

I'm gutted now I'm going to have to keep it outside chained to a metal fence. It's going to be a sought after target for bike thieves.

you are not having too much luck!

I live in a deprived area, which has a higher rate of crime. Last year I built a garage, but before this all of my bikes were outside. Apart from kids wanting to piss around with it when it was uncovered, it was generally ignored - Get the best lock you can buy, as said by Dirty a decent cover and chain the bike to the nearest solid bit of iron that is fixed to the ground.

I can understand the landlord's concern - it is probably violating his insurance policy and would leave him without cover in the event of fire; it is also not ideal to have containers of petrol indoors, for your safety and your fellow tenants.

I understand it's a fire hazard, but I asked my neighbours what their feelings were before I even bought it, and they were fine. I have a disc lock and two heavy duty pad locks and chains. I also have a bike cover which is fairly decent. I'm going to have to buy an alarm and more chains and locks now.

After a few days when it has died down I might just put the bike in at around 11pm and put it outside at 7am.

Get some ater repellant spray like ACF-50 or Muc Off do a version. Use it to protect bits that may rust. It supposedly puts a thin layer/film across the parts and repells water. Attracts dirt they say but it's better than rust.

Good cover, Plenty of cleaning and polishing and you'll be fine. As for the theives, spread around the neighbourhood that your an axe weiding murderer and get a good lock. Someone posted up a nice demo on how to build a trip wire mech that utilises blank shotgun cartridges. It'll deafen the scoundrels and wake up everyone to chase them away! :)

best advice is make it as inconspicuous as possible, park it in a corner of the garden or as near to the building as you can and get a cover for it, a good lock is a must and preferably some sort of alarm or dummy CCTV camera

dirty up your cover as well (within reason, dont go smearing shit all over it) so it looks less attractive, believe it or not it works.

Speaking of insurance, don't forget to tell your insurance company it's outside if they think it's inside overnight. I wouldn't sneak it back into the hallway overnight as you don't know how the landlord found out about it and you don't want to get into bother with him. Also if there was a fire you could find yourself liable for any damage.

At work I have to park my scooter near where everyone smokes. Once I'd forgot to out the petrol cap back on and was surprised no bugger blew themselves up!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online